Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec running, but misfiring?
ProjectSi

posted on 27/8/16 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
Zetec running, but misfiring?

So, after many hours trying to get my Fiesta 1.8 Zetec running on bike carbs, I am now at a stage where it runs however, it won't idle by itself and it's misifiring on cylinder 1. On inspection, all plugs are firing correctly however one of the sliders (diaphragms are they) more specifically, cylinder 1 slider seems to be stuck. All sliders bar cylinder one, go up and down with no issues however cylinder 1 slider on the carbs first of all wouldn't reach it's full travel to the top. So I took the cap off to inspect, cleaned everything up and now the slider goes to it's full travel just about, however won't return. I made sure everything was free however, the spring inside has seen better days. Could this cause my misfiring issue? little inexperienced with carbs so I'm learning how they work. Also, any ideas where I can get a replacement spring for inside the slider, as the current one is totally shagged. Seems a little coincidental that the only cylinder not firing, is the same one with the inoperational slider...but I'm new to this so could be wrong...The carbs are I believe Honda CBR600f. Thanks.
britishtrident

posted on 27/8/16 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
Never worked on these particular carbs but a bent needle or badly centered piston or jet is the usual cause of a sticking piston on CD type carb

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

ProjectSi

posted on 27/8/16 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Never worked on these particular carbs but a bent needle or badly centered piston or jet is the usual cause of a sticking piston on CD type carb

Will a sticking piston or slider as I was referring to cause a misfire? Is it possible to buy new pins and diaphragms for carbs?

mark chandler

posted on 28/8/16 at 03:11 AM Reply With Quote
It will destroy idle and general running of the engine.

They do work like late SU's, does sound like a bent needle.

19sac65

posted on 28/8/16 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
Are they mikuni carbs ?
Check the above and also check the diaphragm in the top for splits
Are you happy theres no air leaks from carb to engine
Have you balanced the carbs and made sure they all open equally , the one with the missfire could simply be closed
Have they been on a car before or are they straight off the bike
Plently of bike breakers on ebay should you need bits

rusty nuts

posted on 28/8/16 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
Try swapping the suspect parts from a carb that's working, if it transfers the misfire to that cylinder you know what the problem is.
ProjectSi

posted on 28/8/16 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Right okay will do cheers, as said though the needle is quite bent and the main Spring is pretty knackered. Would this cause misfiring issues? Also the gasket I'm using isn't the best, so will swap that out aswell.
ProjectSi

posted on 28/8/16 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
Also they already came off a running zetec and came with manifold. The Spring on these is quite large for the diaphragm and is difficult to route, hence why I think the slider won't open and close properly like the others do.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.