Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Gen 1 Hayabusa Oil Leak - Help
hkp57

posted on 11/9/16 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
Gen 1 Hayabusa Oil Leak - Help

During a run on a sprint track I had a load of oil down the side of the car and small puffs of smoke on right hand bends coming off the exhaust down pipes.

After an initial clean up and hand check that everything was tight there were no obvious signs of a leak source.

With the car on the lift and upto full working temp and the engine ran at 8,000 rpm there were no leaks.

Back to the sprint track - first run and same result, oil dripping off everything. close inspection i had decided the flexi link pipe to the head was at fault, i changed the soft and hard pipes with all new hardware and washers etc. tried it today same result.

I took the exhaust off today to get a better look, still can't see the source. Any ideas??

Setup is a standard Gen 1 2003 Busa
Nova Racing dry Sump system
two catch tanks, one for the crankcase breather and one on the oil tank breather (both clean and clear)

Few pictures from today.

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Fleet
SKC Raptor R - Hayabusa
Toyota C-HR Hybrid Limited Edition
Honda VFR1200 CrossTourer
DCT
Marlin Roadster 1800
Mercedes Vito 116 Sport

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 12/9/16 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
In the absence of anything obvious....

Plenty of sealant oozing from joints makes me ask if the base gasket is leaking. I'm a perfectionist, but oozing sealant always makes me think of re-used/unused gaskets, poor workmanship and the usual issues relating.

Other things to bear in mind, oil is feed from the main gallery up through the three galleries on the front of the block, again, if these haven't been sealed properly by the head gasket (it has integral seals) and base gasket, then it'll leak.

phelpsa

posted on 12/9/16 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
Cam cover gasket?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
hkp57

posted on 13/9/16 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
After another morning of cleaning the oil off I refitted the exhaust and ran it up to operating temp.

Let it cool down and removed the exhaust again for a close look, 100% sure now its coming from the head gasket at the gallery close to the stator end of the engine

Well its a good excuse for a little head work gas flow, cams etc

[Edited on 13/9/16 by hkp57]

Fleet
SKC Raptor R - Hayabusa
DCT
Marlin Roadster 1800
Mercedes Vito 116 Sport

phelpsa

posted on 13/9/16 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hkp57

Well its a good excuse for a little head work gas flow, cams etc

Every cloud!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
hkp57

posted on 13/9/16 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
All change again, after a phone call and email exchange with Karl Bradshaw it turns out there is a drain hole from the recess in the head where the spark plugs go. there is a seal in the recess between the cam cover and the head, one of these had failed and was filling the plug hole with oil.

Dam no gasflow work just yet

Fleet
SKC Raptor R - Hayabusa
DCT
Marlin Roadster 1800
Mercedes Vito 116 Sport

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.