Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pinto to zetec - water temp
Skirrow

posted on 13/9/16 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
Pinto to zetec - water temp

I've recently swapped from a pinto to a zetec. Using the pinto dash, and pinto water temp sender.

The Zetec idles around the middle, between the O and R of NORM. But as soon as I take it for a run it goes up to the top of the N. Only taken it out for a few minutes at a time.

Does this sound right for a Zetec - ie. should they run hotter than the pinto did.

If so what kind of temps should I expect? I have a smiths telemetrix gauge somewhere which would give me a more accurate temp rather than a letter on the pinto gauge.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coozer

posted on 13/9/16 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
Where is the temp sensor located?

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Skirrow

posted on 13/9/16 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
It's in the plastic termostat housing. I had to earth it as it looks like the original earthed through the engine block. But it works OK, just runs hot, or reads hot. Not sure which at this point!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
kingster996

posted on 13/9/16 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
Zetecs do run hot - around 92șC is fairly normal - best use a gauge with degrees on though - or try one of the hand held Infrared temp gauges to check.

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure

benchmark51

posted on 13/9/16 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
Had a similar problem going from xflow to pinto. Changed radiator to 3 tube aluminium, used fan to suck through radiator rather than blow and a 87-82 fan switch. Stays around 90 degrees at all speeds now. Temp gauge not accurate, more of an indicator but good enough.

[Edited on 13/9/16 by benchmark51]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.