Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Polishing machine
locoboy

posted on 22/9/16 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
Polishing machine

Can anyone recommend a machine for polishing aluminium parts.

I think the bench mounted (grinder) type would be ok in terms of access for getting ino all areas of the part to be polished.

Any particular type of mops or polish I should use?

Thanks

ATB
Locoboy

v8kid

posted on 22/9/16 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
The one we use at work has a long nose or spindle on it which is handy for polishing tricky parts like the inner rim of alloy wheels. Without the long nose the grinder/polisher motor gets in the way and scratches the surface. We put a loosely fitting bit of plastic pipe over the shaft to avoid the shaft marking as well.

just use multilayer polishing mops and different grades of polishing way - can't remember the colour code at the moment.

Cheers!

that should be wax not way must be having a senior moment

[Edited on 22-9-16 by v8kid]

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
trextr7monkey

posted on 22/9/16 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
We just use cotton mops on an arbor in a big old wood working lathe we have a variety of Vonax polishing compounds for processing steel, plastic and non ferrous metals but if anyone is selling a big old polisher we could be well interested. Invariably whatever machine you have it is never big enough or quick enough!
We did look at some of the double ended Axminster machines but as yet, following locostbuilders' principles, haven't dipped into the kitty.
We also have a graded set of those mule skinners in the same machine and they work a treat on rusty bits and much much safer than the angle grinder.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

gremlin1234

posted on 22/9/16 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
I have done it for ali strips on a bench grinder with polishing wheel. for ali use the 'non ferrous' polish.
an example (first I found)
https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/abrasives/polishing-and-lapping-kits/non-ferrous-metal-polishing-kit/p/YRK2809420K
but the wheel I use is much chunkier.

edit
good selection here too
http://www.knighton-tools.co.uk/acatalog/POLISHING_WHEELS_AND_COMPOUNDS.html

[Edited on 22/9/16 by gremlin1234]

Shooter63

posted on 22/9/16 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
I just use my pillar drill with a mop head on an arbour, stitched mop with brown compound to start, then loose mop with blue compound to finish. As long as the grade of metal is good ie t6 or similar you can get a lovely white near chrome finish. All a bit locost but seems to work OK.

Shooter

posted on 22/9/16 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
From the actual machine point of view the important thing is the speed, or rather the lack of it.
Loads of single phase motors rev at around the 1500 mark and this is plenty for a rag or sisal mop.

Too much speed equals too much friction heat and this melts the soap onto the metal.
It also produces a shiny surface on the wheel itself so it has to be cleaned off before continuing the polishing process.

Don't ask how I know.

Paul G

gremlin1234

posted on 22/9/16 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Too much speed equals too much friction heat and this melts the soap onto the metal.
It also produces a shiny surface on the wheel itself so it has to be cleaned off before continuing the polishing process.
yea, that causes black gunge on the workpiece, which can be difficult to remove.
for cleaning the wheel; I use the tang of a file, (its quite shiny now ;-)

Irony

posted on 22/9/16 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not sure you can beat salvo autosol. I have bought all sorts of high end Ali polishing compunds and yep they do get a better finish but not by much.

posted on 23/9/16 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
Six months worth of midnight oil went into the design of this.

Description
Description

nick205

posted on 23/9/16 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony
I'm not sure you can beat salvo autosol. I have bought all sorts of high end Ali polishing compunds and yep they do get a better finish but not by much.

I've also used Autosol manually and it does work very well. Usually with a rag some elbow grease and a little sweat. My Dad did complain about it a little as it was his tube of it, but hey it was there and worked.

locoboy

posted on 23/9/16 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
Ok thanks for the info, I'll have a look at what's about.
I'll hopefully post some before and after pictures too.
Cheers

ATB
Locoboy

posted on 23/9/16 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
Tube ????

quote:
Originally posted by nick205
quote:
Originally posted by Irony

I've also used Autosol manually and it does work very well. Usually with a rag some elbow grease and a little sweat. My Dad did complain about it a little as it was his tube of it, but hey it was there and worked.

Tube ? TUBE ???? Surely it comes in a tin.

Description
Description

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.