Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: TPS - Mounting Proposal
Dick Axtell

posted on 11/10/16 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
TPS - Mounting Proposal

G'day Locosters,

Who knows loads about Throttle Position Sensors? I have ZZR600 carbs, fitted on a DANST manifold, to my 1.6 Zetec. Ignition is via Nodiz + Ford coilpack.

These carbs have no TPS, so I've been fiddling around, trying to fix up a Ford TPS to run in parallel with the carbs. This looks terribly clumsy, so I looked elsewhere. Now I'm thinking, "Why not have the throttle pedal shaft modified to operate the TPS?".

I reckon that my throttle pedal moves through an arc of 45 - 50 degrees max, whereas the Ford TPS can be rotated nearly 90 degrees. Will there be any electrical drawbacks resulting from this decreased angular movement?

Your comments and suggestions will be appreciated.

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

mcramsay

posted on 11/10/16 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
As long as you can calibrate the nodiz unit with the max and min values of the TPS over the span it operates I can't see any issues.

In saying that any back lash in the system may cause issues, i.e. If the throttle pedal moves a few degrees before it pulls on the throttle cable you will be telling the ecu the wrong TPS in relation to the actual butterfly movement on the carbs. Ideally I would have the TPS mounted on the carbs.

[Edited on 11/10/16 by mcramsay]

perksy

posted on 11/10/16 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
It really needs to go on the Carb's

Is there no way that you can modify the end of the throttle shaft on the carb/s to fit a TPS ?

Somebody must have done it before ?

I remember reading an article by I think it was Dave Walker and he stressed how good the fit between the TPS and the throttle shaft needed to be and also how important it was to secure the wiring and make sure there was no vibration.

I also remember being at Northampton Motorsport on the rollers with a Westfield an Troy spoke about the 'scatter' you get with colvern TPS's compared with some of the higher quality TPS's

Just my 2p but I think you'll have a lot of issues trying to make it work off the throttle pedal

[Edited on 11/10/16 by perksy]

Dick Axtell

posted on 12/10/16 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you for your very interesting observations. I have been looking at using a TPS from another bike carb set. This will require additional bracketry, plus modification of one carb throttle shaft. Which will require professional input.

Not impossible - just awkward, and ££££ive! I'll mull it over, and chat to the local machinist, to see if the shaft mod will be practically possible.

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.