Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Stunt scooter rack or stand?
nick205

posted on 17/10/16 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
Stunt scooter rack or stand?

Morning all,

I've tried searching on here, but not found what I'm looking for so opening the question to the forum instead...

We're about to convert our integral garage into an extra bedroom (cheaper then moving house). Part of this involves replacing our wooden garden shed 6' x 8' with a larger 8' x 12' wooden shed. Inside the new shed will be some wall mounted vertical bike storage for the family. This will hopefully take care of the bicycles, but with 3 kids we also have 3 stunt scooters. The scooters are currently languishing on the garage floor and I could really use a way of storing them vertically. Tidier, safer and less space required etc.

I'm not afraid of woodwork or metalwork, but wonder what others have done for a solution?

I have between now and Christmas to make/obtain something.

Whilst not afraid of graft I am on the tight side so I'm looking for something low cost and easy to make/buy.

This must be a problem for many so there must be an answer out there

Thanks for any pointers.

[Edited on 17/10/16 by nick205]

adampage

posted on 17/10/16 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
I would just keep it really simple...

If you have visible rafters (i.e. not a plastered ceiling) just loop a long bungee cord up & over, then at the bottom of the loop you put one handlebar, loop it up & over once to hold it secure, et voila!

You can vary height with either different length bungees, or get a long one and just wrap it over the rafter once or twice if it's hanging too low. You can then put it at different places on the rafter to suit, by the edge, in the middle, etc and along different rafters.

How much for 3 bungee cords, can't be more than a few £?

Does that work?

I'm sure you could build something cleverer, but not sure it's really needed.....

nick205

posted on 17/10/16 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
A good idea, but this will be in a shed without rafters. I have in mind maybe a wall mounted rack of some kind that supports the scooter using the steering pole. Teaching the kids to use it is another subject, but we'll get there.

adampage

posted on 17/10/16 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
Aaah, a shed

So you want some of those big spring clips you push the pole through, 'spring tube clip' or 'conduit clip'.

Like this:

http://www.sailboats.co.uk/allen-spring-clip-extra-large-for-38mm-tube?m=simple_associated&gclid=CJzimdSJ4s8CFaIy0wodiBYMPA

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/0289613/?grossPrice=Y&cm_mmc=UK-PLA-_-google-_-PLA_UK_EN_Fasteners_And_Fixings-_-Clips&mkwid=sCrydZfOd_ dc|pcrid|88057041123|pkw||pmt||prd|0289613&gclid=CPft9uaJ4s8CFQMW0wodlbQMcQ

http://www.builderdepot.co.uk/conduit-clips-25mm-black.html?gclid=CNuutPyJ4s8CFWsq0wodXe8OSw

Good luck!
Ad

nick205

posted on 17/10/16 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
That might do it!

Cheap to

nick205

posted on 18/10/16 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
A little web searching uncovered this plastic stand, which is cheap and looks like it'll do the job...

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/scooter-rack-id_8323378.html

The new shed will have a wooden floor to screw it to so I think I'll buy one today and give it a go. Amazing what you can do with plastic when you put your mind to it.

ETA...I would highlight that that is not one of our scooters. Ours are somewhat less elaborate than that, but still take up similarly large amounts of space when chucked on the floor.

[Edited on 18/10/16 by nick205]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.