Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Help changing oil with accusump
147break

posted on 18/10/16 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Help changing oil with accusump

Hello,

I would like to change the oil in my engine but it has a oil cooler, filter and accusump all in the system.

Do I need to take precautions? Will I loose the pressure in the accusump if so how do I re pressurise it? Will there be oli in there?

As you can tell I didn't build the kit and I've never changed the oil on it before! I'm just used to opening the sump plug and job done!

Thanks

mark chandler

posted on 18/10/16 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Open the accusump and drain as normal, when refilling shove an extra litre in, briefly start the engine which will fill the accusump, lock closed turn off the engine then top up to normal.

Ignore the cooler, at least 90% of the oil will be new.

bi22le

posted on 18/10/16 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
I have the same set up.

Engine, cooler with thermostatic valve and an accusump with manual valve.

I warm the engine as you normally would and leave the valve open. Turn off the engine and lock the valve straight after. Then drain ASAP.

With the valve shut at low pressure the the accusump cylinder will be empty. With the engine / oil warm it will drain fully including from the oil rad. The majority should come out and what ever is left is minimal.

Then change filter and fill up.

When checking your oil level with the new oil run the engine up to temp and rev high enough to fill the accusump cylinder, then lock the accusump valve shut. Turn off engine and wait for it to cool. You want it to be just under max.

Rightly or wrongly this is what I have been doing. 7 years down the line and 10s track days, no issues.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.