Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: wheel inserts for alloys
alfas

posted on 2/12/16 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
wheel inserts for alloys

i have an old sevenish kitcar, with 4" PCD (morris minor axle) and tiny 3/8"unf wheelstuds.

the car came with cosmic alloys.

ths alloys have steel-inserts fitted which look like that:

http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/topic/281441-mk2-cosmic-wheel-steel-inserts/

due to the former owner using the wrong wheelnuts (tapered seat instead of ballseat), all inserts are damged / broken and soem already missing. none of the 16 wheelnuts can be tightend correctly.

iīm struggeling finding the correct inserts. the below 2 companies are offering similar inserts, but not the ones with thre correct spec and they definately cannot help me.

http://www.prestigewheel.com/Imagewi510.asp
http://www.raceways.co.uk/Alloy_wheel_steel_insert_standard_size.htm

i need a spline diameter of 19,4mm (~ 0,77"
inner hole 10,5mm (3/8" unf studs) (~ 0,42"

any idea where i could get such inserts?

alternatively where could i get period looking 5.5"x13 alloys with 4" PCD for less than 200,-€?

[Edited on 3/12/16 by alfas]

loggyboy

posted on 2/12/16 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
First link fails, assuming it was copied from another forum, you will need copy the link not the shortened version the thread displays.

Mistral Motorsport

alfas

posted on 2/12/16 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
alternative: 5.5"x13 steel wheels with 4x4" pcd...but where do i get those?

above links have been corrected now,
thanks for pointing-out.

cliftyhanger

posted on 2/12/16 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
I think you should be looking at classic mini, imp, mg midget and so on as possible sources. Not sure about offset on the mini though, worth checking.
alfas

posted on 2/12/16 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
the problem is the size:

steel wheels with a width of 5.5inch are uncommon during the "old" days. 4.5" or 5" are easy to source.

new alloys are too expensive for my vallet or they are 7" (which is too wide)
and the 2nd hand alloys offered at ebay or other sources are not period-looking enough.

AJC

posted on 3/12/16 at 12:06 AM Reply With Quote
Could you get a local machine shop to turn you some inserts up?
alfas

posted on 3/12/16 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
sure...but this will cost. 10-15,-€/piece...as its not that easy to manufacture them: those inserts are lined on the lower collar, have a ball seat internally etc., also the machine shop will charge me extra for such a samll-scale-series, hence the price.

also my budget is already on the limit

look, a new set of 4-spoke revolution or the typical minilite-design would cost me delivered, incl. centre-caps, incl. new wheelnuts 380,-€

makes no sense paying for wheel inserts 150,- to 180,-€, and i have still old wheelnuts & old wheels, which theoretically would also profit from new paint.

buying a 2nd hand set of wheels (if i find some) makes only sense if you get them for not more than 50,-€/set: blasting, powdercoating for a set of 13" wheels costs 200,-€, plus new wheelnuts 30,-..so you are ending at 280,-€ and you still have "old" wheels...you need to deliver them to the powder-coater...you need to invest time for searching a set of 2nd hand wheels....so at the end of the day its never worth doing it that way.

what i can imagine is buying a set of 2nd hand wheels in very good (as-new) and useable condition for around 150,-€, delivered.

[Edited on 4/12/16 by alfas]

jumping jack

posted on 20/12/16 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
There is a car that has inexpensive but good looking alloys that are 5.5J and that car is the Dolomite Sprint or the TR7 however its possible that the PCD is 3.75" and not the requested 4". The wheel nuts for these cars are available in 3/8 UNF and they rely on a flange and diameter of the nuts rather than the centre as is most common.
cliftyhanger

posted on 20/12/16 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
the tr& and sprint are indeed 3.75", so no god for this application.

Keep an eye open, plenty of alloys for 4"PCD are 5 1/2J.Minilite are common (not my favourite though, but period. And I do own a set as they were cheap and fit...)

trextr7monkey

posted on 20/12/16 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
I have a couple of sets of Tr7 steel wheels spare with good tyres fitted and a set of Tr7 Kippax alloys which were designed for the car currently fitted to a Tr7 V8 spare car.

A locost option might be to hunt out some Wellers but obviously not alloy

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content Đ 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [Đ 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.