Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Steering bosses and columns
Matt21

posted on 29/12/16 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
Steering bosses and columns

Has anyone tried any of these quick release bosses?

Cheap price tag but sounds good from the description
SNAP OFF QUICK RELEASE BOSS KIT WELD ON FIT OMP SPARCO LIFELINE STEERING WHEELS

http://www.bg-racing.co.uk/quick-release-system-weld-on-6-point-shaft

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/racetech-quick-release-steering-boss-kit-for-six-hole-70mm-rp-rtq72

Any input on if there is play in the mechanisms etc, do they have locking buttons you have to press before pulling the release flange?

As for the steering column, I'm thinking of using some 3/4" CDS tube with a 3mm wall thickness.
My plan is to drill the first inch to 15mm ID then buy a 5/8" splined shaft for the boss so it will slide into the tube before welding (makes it easier to get it straight and less likely to snap off, I know it shouldnt anyway, but still...)

Does that plan sound ok?

Or can anyone point me in the direction of a none removeable boss/flange for a 6bolt wheel? I cant seem to find any off the shelf so it looks like I would have to make one.

Anyone else use a QR boss for roas use too? I dont fancy returning to my car after going in a shop to find my new wheel missing!

Instagram: @matt211988

Photobucket

My YouTube

tims31

posted on 29/12/16 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmm, Snap Off name would put me off straight away!!! Perhaps thats just me?

Build: http://www.martinsfurybuild.co.uk/

Adamirish

posted on 30/12/16 at 12:12 AM Reply With Quote
I have that exact boss on my car. We fitted it last year.

There is bit of play, not a lot. My MOT man never picked up on it so it really isn't much. It attaches and unlatches perfectly fine and hasn't come off in my hands yet even with my fists of ham!

Are you using a Sierra column? If so, this is how we fitted it.

Cut of the threaded end of the column. Ford did me a favour here by making this part hexagon shaped. We cut it back far enough to weld an M6 bolt, head first into the column.

It just so happens there is a hole in the back of the "stub" of the weld on part of the quick release mech is Just big enough for an M6 tap. So we tapped that and screwed it on to the pre welded bolt.

Once I had it where we wanted it, we then welded around the base of the weld on bit(technical term) then over the bolt and the weld of the bolt, onto the column. It turned out VERY strong. It could be sleeved as well if you want to go belt and braces.

We only went to this trouble as I was unsure of the Chinese quality. As I say, it hasn't broken yet and there is no more play after 1000 miles than there was when it was fitted.

For the difference in price between that and a lifeline item it is certainly worth a go.

Lastly apologies for my description, I'm not very good at explaining things!

Having read your post properly , I am talking about the first one, the el cheapo eBay jobbie by the way.

[Edited on 30/12/16 by Adamirish]

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

Matt21

posted on 30/12/16 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
Thats great thanks.

Do you have any photos to help with your description of fitting, a picture speaks a thousand words and all that
does it have a 'safety button' too? or just literally pull the flange to release the wheel?

Anyone else have experience with any of these?

Photobucket

My YouTube

Adamirish

posted on 30/12/16 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry, no pictures I'm afraid. I never thought to take any when we were fitting it.

Yes there is a locking collar. Pull the ring (ooo err) towards you to release the wheel and pull it again and push the wheel back on until it locks onto the column.

I can take pictures later on this afternoon if it will be of any help.

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

Matt21

posted on 30/12/16 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
Some I have seen have a little button you have to push in while pulling the collar, like an anti idiot device to make it harder to remove.

Photobucket

My YouTube

Samuele

posted on 30/12/16 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
Before you build my quick release steering from myself,
I had bought one like that in ebay.
I can say I had a lot yoke.
and processing was very inaccurate.
maybe I had bad luck and I received a piece not good, and even as possible.
personally I am one who risks a lot.
but on things like brakes and steering, and better not to joke

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.