Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Throttle body plenum and Intake installation
Ron Lang

posted on 14/1/17 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
Throttle body plenum and Intake installation

Thanks to all your help on here I have managed to sell off the old ECU and bike throttle bodies and get hold of everything I need to revert to the standard emerald and plenum setup.

I now have the original ford injector plate with injectors, the GBS plenum, ford throttle body and a filter (all brand new). I have also bought the flying loom from emerald and will make this into a harness once I've sourced the remaining connectors (junior timer). So today's job is to dry fit the intake side and see what's what so I can move forward with installing the emerald and wiring.

I'll post some pics as I go but I have one question to start:

What gaskets do I need? One at the head and one where the plenum meets the injector plate?

If so, where do I source these?

Thanks,

Ron

turnipfarmer

posted on 14/1/17 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Ron

For an injector plate, I assume you're using that chunk of plastic cut from the original Ford inlet manifold.

That being so, on the back of that there should be 4 inlet-shaped green rubber seals. They are all you need to seal the injector plate to the head.

For the plenum to the injector plate, GBS say just to use PU adhesive around the ports - but not too close to!

That's what I've done & it seems to work fine.

HTH

Ron Lang

posted on 14/1/17 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by turnipfarmer
Hi Ron

For an injector plate, I assume you're using that chunk of plastic cut from the original Ford inlet manifold.

That being so, on the back of that there should be 4 inlet-shaped green rubber seals. They are all you need to seal the injector plate to the head.

For the plenum to the injector plate, GBS say just to use PU adhesive around the ports - but not too close to!

That's what I've done & it seems to work fine.

HTH

Ok sounds good. I never understand why these parts don't come with any form of instructions.

Ron Lang

posted on 14/1/17 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
So: started with the ford inlet manifold. Had no idea it was all one piece:

Zetec Inlet Manifold
Zetec Inlet Manifold

Cut off the manifold with a hand saw and filed as flat as I could. Will have to get this properly milled in the week:

Injector Plate Pre-milling
Injector Plate Pre-milling

In the meantime, I did a mock install of the injector plate, fuel rail, plenum and throttle body. Unfortunately, the pipe coming from the left end of the fuel rail doesn't seem to fit with the plenum. Am I supposed to using a different fuel rail and/or pipes. Also no idea if the regulator looking thing at the other end is required.

Ford Fuel Fail
Ford Fuel Fail

turnipfarmer

posted on 14/1/17 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
Sandwich plate looks good - as you say just a matter of getting the surface flat now.

You don't need all that length of metal fuel pipe.

My fuel pump is at the back of the engine bay on the driver's side, so on the advice of GBS I cut almost all the pipe off, leaving a stub just long enough to push the fuel hose on, and secure with a clip. I believe most folk do this.

I necessary, you can always swap the fuel rail round so the inlet is at the front of the engine bay rather than the back.

There's a pic of mine on its way to you by email.

You will need some sort of regulator. I use the stock one at the other end of the rail, but I know others use aftermarket ones. It's up to you.

HTH

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.