Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sigh...three steps back
jeffw

posted on 22/1/17 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
Sigh...three steps back

So the other day I noticed a fuel leak at the rear of the car, turned out it was dripping off the return from the swirl pot and appeared to be coming through the braided AN-6 line.....

So this weekend I decided I needed to fix it before getting on with a host of other jobs on the car. The swirl pot is under the TB/Plenum and you can't get to the line connection from the side.....So top of the tunnel off, plenum off, throttle bodies and inlet off, rear of the car take the panels off, drill out the boot floor rivets to get to the other end. I'd bought new hose so off with all the P clips, undid the front AN-6 connector and tied a wire to the braided hose so I can pull the new hose back the same way (2hrs in by now)

Went to the back to disconnect the AN-6 connector into the tank...and its loose....wtf ! Took it off and it is covered in dirt and had petrol all over the outside of the connector. So nothing wrong with the hose at all and I have to wait till the middle of the week for a new inlet gasket

Sometimes you go backwards before going forwards...

In other news the car will have new Force Wheels shortly (3 sets, Black, Red and Blue) which will be 10" rear and 8" fronts. Once I have a set with tyres on (F3 slicks already in the garage) it is off to Sylva Sportcars at Mallory to have the bodywork extended by 2" front and 4" rear and having all the bodywork damaged made good and then.....a respray. Not sure on the colour scheme yet but tempted by midnight blue .

Once it is back the Penske shocks should be here and it can go to Boss racing to be setup.

First events at the end of March...almost the motorsport season again !

FuryRebuild

posted on 22/1/17 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
Penske shocks - not messing around then

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

jeffw

posted on 22/1/17 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
Nope...not messing about at all this time. F3 size slicks as well.

sdh2903

posted on 22/1/17 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
3 sets of force rims!!

I'm struggling to get the Mrs to agree to 1 set

jeffw

posted on 22/1/17 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
Well 2.5 sets as I have a pair already and a set of Compomotive split rims

FuryRebuild

posted on 22/1/17 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
I'm currently girding my loins for a sequential box. I'm looking at the elite boxes, but will also want to fit a flappy paddle shift out of the bat. If I do this then I won't need to cut a hole in the tub for the gear stick. Saying that, having a gear stick also means I have a fall-back in case the actuators fail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

jeffw

posted on 22/1/17 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
Problem is you double the cost by adding the pneumatics straight away.

FuryRebuild

posted on 22/1/17 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
I'm still researching it - I've not chosen a supplier yet. I'm going throttle-by-wire anyway, and the MBE engine management I've chosen can already handle gearboxes. I was hoping for electronic actuators rather than having to run an air-system as well.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

jeffw

posted on 22/1/17 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
You don't want actuators, pneumatics is much kinder to the gearbox. Playskool can provide all the items you'll need. flybywire throttle is a brave choice !

FuryRebuild

posted on 23/1/17 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
I've been talking a lot with Damien from DayTuner (Top Bloke), and he's quite well experienced in TBW. I'll be fitting the Jenvey actuator to my throttle bodies, and then the MBE management can drive it out of the box (configuration and tuning notwithstanding). What it's great for is levelling out the torque curve, giving you far more controllability and actually increased accelleration. Secondly it opens the doors nicely for proper management of flat-shifting. The MBE unit also has gearbox control in.

The Plays-Kool site does have plenty of the right toys. I just need to gird my loins to buy

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

Rich J

posted on 23/1/17 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
Just finished converting an Elite in my Striker using off the shelf cylinders and solenoid valves.
These photos were taken part way through so I've now changed the 3/2 valves for smaller more compact items

The cylinder could be rotated through 90 degrees to put it in the horizontal but would need to retain part of the original Elite linkage to make it work

Throttle blipper

[Edited on 23/1/17 by Rich J]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.