<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Javelin Sprint Series
jeffw

posted on 22/1/17 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
Javelin Sprint Series

Javelin, the trackday organiser, run a sprint series

http://www.javelinsprintdays.co.uk/sprint/

Basically you self certify your car is safe, they look it over in scrutineering and you wear a crash helmet (motorsport or bike) and that's it. Minimum of 6 runs and normally more.

Fantastic events and certainly something you lot should have a go at. So no MSA compliance, buy a £5 license to compete on the day, no overalls/gloves/boots & Bike helmets just like a track day. Stick the supplied numbers on and off you go...

All you keen trackday guys should give this a go.

theduck

posted on 22/1/17 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Looks really good. Any more idea on the class structure than the website gives? Just wondering what classes as high, medium and low power in class f.
jtskips

posted on 22/1/17 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
Cadwell 22 oct looks good for me
jeffw

posted on 22/1/17 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
I'm in F1 with a turbo Exocet and a R500 Caterham. So unless you are at that level on slicks you need to look at F2 or F3

daniel mason

posted on 22/1/17 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
The class F cars in this years series were not very quick at all last year. A decent driver in a well sorted kit would be competative
jeffw

posted on 22/1/17 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
Apart from the last round Daniel....

daniel mason

posted on 22/1/17 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
I still maintain a decent driver in a kit car would win that series hands down.
theduck

posted on 22/1/17 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
I'm in F1 with a turbo Exocet and a R500 Caterham. So unless you are at that level on slicks you need to look at F2 or F3

Just trying to work out where me and a mate would end up, sounds like f2. He has a GBS zero with a 2.5 v6 around 200bhp NA and I have a Robin Hood s7 with around 200bhp from a turbo pinto. Both on road tyres. We'd probably only do a couple rounds so as much as anything we'd just be competing against each other.

daniel mason

posted on 22/1/17 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
Just go for it.youll really enjoy it I can guarantee! If you can peddle a bit you'll be as quick as anything there unless a Jedi or oms turns up!
jeffw

posted on 23/1/17 at 06:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
I still maintain a decent driver in a kit car would win that series hands down.

That is the aim this year...

gaz_gaz

posted on 23/1/17 at 06:33 AM Reply With Quote
I'm tempted to have a try at Snetterton.
Any idea what class my car would end up in Jeff or Dan?

daniel mason

posted on 23/1/17 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
I'd think class S gaz otherwise you'll destroy everyone.unfortunately class S cannot compete for the championship.i think I ruined that for everyone last year

[Edited on 23/1/17 by daniel mason]

gaz_gaz

posted on 23/1/17 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
I'm not sure about that mate.
Cars alright but still got a ham fisted driver to flap round in it.

I'm not worried about championships and stuff. Just a bit of fun.

jeffw

posted on 23/1/17 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
I would assume F1 Gaz

gaz_gaz

posted on 23/1/17 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
Just looked on the website and F1 looks like the one for me Jeff. I hadn't realised they'd updated the page. Last time I looked I had no idea what was going on.
Guess I better get the car washed sometime over the next 2 months.

jelly head

posted on 23/1/17 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
I'm going to have a crack at it this year but seeing as i'm between kits it'll be in the Clio.
jeffw

posted on 23/1/17 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gaz_gaz
Just looked on the website and F1 looks like the one for me Jeff. I hadn't realised they'd updated the page. Last time I looked I had no idea what was going on.
Guess I better get the car washed sometime over the next 2 months.

Come and play at Snetterton, would be good to catch up.

Andy D

posted on 23/1/17 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

All you keen trackday guys should give this a go.

As a keen trackday guy.. I just don't get sprinting. I can not for the life of me understand the folks spending such vast amounts of cash on their machines to do so little time on track. Do you not enjoy driving? I do realise it can be a cheap entry level form of motorsport, but so many seem to get stuck there and don't appear to progress?

For me the natural progression from trackdays is to circuit racing. I've had a little dabble myself, and a lot of my trackday pals have moved in that direction too.

mark chandler

posted on 23/1/17 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
It's a social day out, okay it does cost a couple of hundred by the time you have commuted but you do get a rush when doing well.

Track days you buzz around and get the feel for the car, sprinting you just have to get it right from the moment you spin your wheels on takeoff - not to much mind you!

jelly head

posted on 23/1/17 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
As much as i enjoy track days they don't give me the same buzz of sprints / hillclimbs.

Yes track days are better value, but having to push as hard as you dare and trying to beat the clock = massive adrenaline rush that i just don't think you can get on a trackday.

Andy D

posted on 23/1/17 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
I usually do trackdays with a bunch of pals so I do appreciate the social side of things. And I could see why dawdling round a track on your own can lack appeal.. so don't do it.

I usually share the track with at least a couple of mates and we are giving it max to stay with each other. Taking turns in front to see who can keep up.. I hate being on track by my self, love chasing a car and seeing it move around, see the flames smell the fumes! The way I see it, it's a great way to improve your driving skill, that is lacking in sprinting. There's simply not enough seat time.

bi22le

posted on 23/1/17 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Im in a strange situation at the moment.

For the last few years I have been doing trackdays with at least one other mate and sometimes several. It seems 2016 was the year to sell up. The four people I do trackdays all sold their cars leaving me to go it alone.

Im not going to sell up yet as I will be just buy something else but do envy you lot with track day buddies.

This is where sprinting becomes appealing but I will still be doing it on my own. It just gives the day some structure and context.

I have considered proposing a car share to one of my mates and going into circuit racing, there are a few series which are set up for this cheap form of racing. I just don't have the time to commit to a season.

A little off topic, soz. No need to get the violin out by the way. Im still happy improving the car and smashing out some pretty good laps.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

mark chandler

posted on 23/1/17 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
In my experience sprinting is a lot more friendly than track days, with the advantage being if you stuff your car it can only be your fault

It costs a bit, maybe £600 or so for suit, boots gloves and bash hat and I suspect you may needs a HANS as well but once you start it is addictive, grabbing even a couple of milliseconds is satisfying.

jeffw

posted on 23/1/17 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
Trackdays are great but you are never on it 100% as there are other cars around and, while you and your mates feel like heroes, you don't actually know who is fastest. Sprinting is driven by the clock, nothing more nothing less. When the light goes green there is nowhere to hide, you can't say "that bloke in the Clio wouldn't let me pass" or any other excuse....you are as good (or bad) as the time on the sheet.

I get circuit racing but I can't afford to do it at the level I would want to plus I certainly can't afford to sweep the car into a box of bits after being involved in someone else's accident so I sprint.

If you try it you'll soon find how addictive it is, regardless of the amount of trackday. Think quality not quantity.

bi22le

posted on 23/1/17 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
In my experience sprinting is a lot more friendly than track days, with the advantage being if you stuff your car it can only be your fault

It costs a bit, maybe £600 or so for suit, boots gloves and bash hat and I suspect you may needs a HANS as well but once you start it is addictive, grabbing even a couple of milliseconds is satisfying.

Do you need all the suit, HANS amd jazz if you enter this Javelin sprint series?

I have boots and gloves but use jeans and a bike jacket for track days. Also my harness I'd well out of date.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.