Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Paint fumes
Daf

posted on 27/1/17 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
Paint fumes

I saw a thread in here recently where someone had painted their floor with "raptor truck bed paint". After a bit of research into it I want to do the same thing as the results look excellent.

However the paint comes with all the same health warnings as normal car paint because it's full of similar chemicals. Apparently one should wear air fed breathing mask and paint in a ventilated booth etc. Question is, is there a safe way to do this at home?

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 27/1/17 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
It depends if you're planning on spraying it onto a surface or rollering it on. Friend of mine has done some panels on his Land Rover Discovery with a roller (for a textured finish); he keyed up the bonnet outside, then painted it in his garage with the door open to allow for air movement. I think he wore a basic 3M mouth/nose mask as well, but nothing special. If spraying, I would suggest more precaution would be needed.

Also consider other products; this is not a new idea! I've used POR15 bed liner before now, as well as their tank liner for inside a motorcycle fuel tank - both with great results.

[Edited on 27/1/17 by Charlie_Zetec]

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

FuryRebuild

posted on 27/1/17 at 11:54 PM Reply With Quote
If you're dealing with fumes, you need a P3 breather mask. They're not expensive. I use one and it strips out styrene as well. They're very cheap compared to the side effects

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.