Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rad fan running when driving slow
mcramsay

posted on 5/2/17 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Rad fan running when driving slow

So just got my BMW M3 powered marlin sportster out for its first drive today, I noticed whilst under 40mph the cooling fan had to click on to cool the car down. Fan comes on at 98 and goes off at 94. It's a big kenlowe fan that pretty much covers the whole front of a polo aluminium racing rad which should be man enough for the engine.

This prompted me to look at the workshop manual for the m3 as I thought I had the fan cut in too low however the thermostat opens at 80 and the stock fan should cut in at 92. If I now lower my fan temp it's going to be running constantly. The fan is able to control the temp fine and it's not the the engine is boiling over however air flow at 30-40 mph should be more than enough to cool the rad

My thoughts are that the fan is covering so much of the front of the rad no airflow is actually going through the core, combined with quite a fine mesh grille that might be restricting airflow...

Any other ideas of why this might be happening/how to sort

As as said this was my first road test, previously the car has sat idling getting to 98 degrees and dropping to 94 by fan control for 2 hours completely happy so I'm not looking down the head gasket route or anything like that!

gremlin1234

posted on 5/2/17 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
is the fan coming on, or just rotating in the airflow, ( and generating enough power for a fan indicator light) ?
mcramsay

posted on 5/2/17 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
The fan is powering on.
coyoteboy

posted on 5/2/17 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
Can't see a polo rad being man enough for an M3 engines basic output. The fans coming on because the rad isn't cooling enough at low speeds.

Ben_Copeland

posted on 6/2/17 at 07:05 AM Reply With Quote
Same thoughts. Doubt the polo rad would be man enough, my civic rad which is about same area as polo isn't really enough for my 2l turbo

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Hornet

posted on 6/2/17 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
My fan is behind the rad. To allow air at rad. Can you do this or no room?
cliftyhanger

posted on 6/2/17 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
Looks like a larger rad is required.......

I had an unusual one on my old Triumph Toledo when I fitted a polo rad. Faster I drove the hotter it ran, the car design just wasn't getting enough airflow through the rad for the 100bhp engine I had fitted. I either had to re-design the front end, or find a larger rad......(found a passat rad that fitted, and works a treat, 30% more area and cost a whopping £25)

rodgling

posted on 6/2/17 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
I had progressively worse and worse issues with cooling (also on an M3 engine). Eventually I did a coolant flush with 1qt of Thermocure and it is miles better now, even with an oil cooler blocking half of the radiator. Maybe worth a try as a cheap/easy first step.

[Edited on 6/2/17 by rodgling]

adithorp

posted on 6/2/17 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
If the cooling is fine under load/at speed but not at low speed/load that does point towards an airflow issue.

What mesh do you have? I know you said fine and thats what makes me wonder. If it's expanded ally type, then I'd start with changing it for woven mesh. Expanded ally mesh has very poor airflow (it's little more than slit holes in solid sheet)and the finer/smaller the mesh, the worse it is.

Also where does is your fan switch possitioned compared with where the it was in the original BMW install? If the BMW was in the rad and yours is in the top hose for instance then there will be a descrepancy between the on/off values required.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 6/2/17 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
As said firstly remove the mesh grill and see if it makes a difference if it is a fine it will block the flow a huge amount if the switch position is correct for the engine you may have to buy a bigger capacity polo alloy radiator .
mcramsay

posted on 6/2/17 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
The polo rad isn't just a bog standard one, it has the thicker 55mm core, to be honest I researched this immensely and it was the only one I could find that would fit in the space. When the fan comes on it only needs around 8 seconds to reduce the engine temp by 4 degrees which says to me the rad has the capability to cool the engine with the correct air flow... I agree it could be bigger but I have literally no room. I did a little test holding a hair drier infront of the mesh, I can hardily feel anything coming through to behind the rad, so I think I run with the mesh off might throw up some different results... also the m3 engine is supposed to have a viscous fan fitted, perhaps if I can squeeze this back on it may help things??

If the above don't work then I'm out of ideas...

coyoteboy

posted on 6/2/17 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
Aye, you're stuck with the size you have. My point was that it's going to be a close call so you need to pull out as many restrictions as possible, but you knew that already

mcramsay

posted on 6/2/17 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
I think I can get it working, if not a Davies Craig water pump/ fan controller might be the only option
BenB

posted on 6/2/17 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
What's the problem with leaving it as it is? It sounds like you've got a big old fan which is doing it's job when passive airflow isn't enough.
BenB

posted on 6/2/17 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
Would Redline Water Wetter help here???? Improves heat transfer- my gut instinct is (if the blurb is correct) it helps heat dissipation which should mean for a given size radiator you get better heat leaving the rad.
Camber Dave

posted on 6/2/17 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Do you have vents in the bonnet top or sides?
It is a hell of a job trying to force hot air down, round the engine and out from under the car.

"As as said this was my first road test, previously the car has sat idling getting to 98 degrees and dropping to 94 by fan control for 2 hours completely happy so I'm not looking down the head gasket route or anything like that!"

Was the bonnet fitted during this test?

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 6/2/17 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Different mesh grill hopefully will sort it
mcramsay

posted on 6/2/17 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
Bonnets were fitted on the test, there are no louvres in the bonnet but there are many down either side of the car, but I agree bonnet louvres would help, I've not heard of water wetter before but it's worth a try! I am going to fit a makeshift fan running light and go for a 50 mph run and see if I'm getting cooling issues at speed or only when town driving, that will shed more light on the way forward

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.