Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Structural Engineer House Question.
ash_hammond

posted on 15/2/17 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
Structural Engineer House Question.

Hi Guys.

We recently purchased a house with a double garage, it gives me plenty of space for tools etc, but really it is two single garage as there is a supporting pillar in the middle which stops a car being put in the centre and worked around.

The center pillar supports two 90 degree RSJ which supports the brick outer walls of the corner of the house / bedroom 3. I would like to know if it would be possible to remove this pillar and extend the RSJ to the outer garage wall or am I dreaming? I know the outer wall will need some additional brick work to take the extra weight. I've attached a quick diagram using the floor plan from Rightmove.

At the moment I'm at the qualification stage to see if this possible or not before I put time into finding a good structural engineer and getting costings etc.

Assistance is greatly received.

[Edited on 15/2/17 by ash_hammond]

.: www.mac1motorsports.co.uk | www.m1moc.com :.

Mash

posted on 15/2/17 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Nothing is impossible, but...

I'd say the RSJ to go across to replace it will have to be pretty beefy as, once you remove the pillar, it will be supporting the other existing RSJ and both walls above.

In addition you'll need to create two brick peers one at each end to support said RSJ, particularly at the inner end where the wall appears to be a single skin.

So it's doable, but the depth of the RSJ may be a problem for you, as it will either have to be built into the wall above or hang down into the garage space.

Speaking here not as a Sructural Engineer, but a civil engineer with a bit of home extension experience.

ash_hammond

posted on 15/2/17 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mash
Nothing is impossible, but...

I'd say the RSJ to go across to replace it will have to be pretty beefy as, once you remove the pillar, it will be supporting the other existing RSJ and both walls above.

In addition you'll need to create two brick peers one at each end to support said RSJ, particularly at the inner end where the wall appears to be a single skin.

So it's doable, but the depth of the RSJ may be a problem for you, as it will either have to be built into the wall above or hang down into the garage space.

Speaking here not as a Sructural Engineer, but a civil engineer with a bit of home extension experience.

I do agree 100% with what you're saying. Yes is possible, but under the new layout you will have x y z new restriction which were not there before and it will cost you 5K for the all the work being carried out, so now the question of is it worth it comes into play.

nick205

posted on 15/2/17 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
My sister has the same issue in her house/garage. Whilst she's not bothered about it my brother-in-law has investigated the same as you. The alteration was possible, but the cost of it left it as a no-go for them. BIL "decided" he could live with the pillar, but then smacked the door of his vintage 3 series on it and felt otherwise.

I think it comes down to value for money in the end!

ash_hammond

posted on 15/2/17 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
My sister has the same issue in her house/garage. Whilst she's not bothered about it my brother-in-law has investigated the same as you. The alteration was possible, but the cost of it left it as a no-go for them. BIL "decided" he could live with the pillar, but then smacked the door of his vintage 3 series on it and felt otherwise.

I think it comes down to value for money in the end!

So did they do it in the end after he snacked the door? Any idea what the rough quote was?

nick205

posted on 15/2/17 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
No they've not done the conversion - busy saving for an extension instead.

Ref. the car door BIL fitted a small bit of carpet to the pillar to prevent same happening again.

hearbear

posted on 15/2/17 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
Don't think it would be to bad to do watched DIY sos a few times and they have done that kind of thing it just needs a welder to plate the ends of the existing ones and a mounting plate on the middle of the new one bolt it all together after supporting and removing the pillar and pockets to take the ends of the new beams. You would need a structural engineer to give all the correct sizes.

3.9Ltr SSC Stylus should be fun

garyo

posted on 16/2/17 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
Alternatively - it looks like you have a side alley. Explore options spending the same £5k on a 1 metre side extension under permitted development. So you'll have a 2.5 car garage. You could even partition in the narrower 1 car area as a warmer winter workshop/office area that's easier to heat and free of dust/debris.
mcramsay

posted on 16/2/17 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
Get a few jacking roller dollies and put the car in the garage then turn it lengthways! Access all round the car with the rear section of garage for a work bench and tools!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.