Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: hobby tig welder
luke2152

posted on 9/3/17 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
hobby tig welder

Local welding shop is trying to convince me to buy their tig welding setup. And I don't need too much convincing....

I've never tig welded before but it makes sense because most everything I want to do is either thin steel or aluminium. I use the mig welder at work but mediocre mig welding is about as hard as using a hot glue gun. I know there are slightly cheaper options out there but this looks decent setup to me and also has the arc welding option if you need to do something heavy. But wanted to hear a few other opinions. Especially if there are better options out there.

http://www.weldingshop.co.uk/welding-sets-and-equipment-c-2/tig-welders-c-2_19/crosarc-200s-acdc-tig-p-586.html

CosKev3

posted on 9/3/17 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
I bought myself a Chinese TIG welder before Xmas and taught myself how to use it by watching YouTube videos
I love using it TBH.
I can weld properly with it but you need lots of practise to make the welds look like the pros do!
I'm turbocharging my car so I've made up the exhaust, inlet/plenum and modified my radiator and intercooler with mine.
I paid £300 for mine with a load of rods,it's paid for itself easily over the winter.
One thing is you use a lot of Argon teaching yourself how to weld with it,I've now got a 50ltr bottle which costs just over £100 to refill and £7 a month bottle rental.
I started off with Hobbyweld 9 ltr bottles rent free at £54 each,but I emptied one within a week just welding scrap pieces together then emptied the second one making up my exhaust system so thought bugger that and went for the 50ltr bottle

r1_pete

posted on 9/3/17 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
For similar money look at the r-tech range.

Great kit and unbeatable after sales service.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
FuryRebuild

posted on 10/3/17 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
I went for an Inverter Fusion Solid State Welder which has been brilliant. It's totally solid state, maintains a beautiful stable arc and again has given me so much flexibility in my chassis mods. It can't do ally though, which helped set me on my journey to composites.

I always struggled with MIG (I had a crappy MIG, mind) and going from a crappy mig to a good gig was like coming home from the pup to find the best kebab ever waiting for you, and guaranteed to make you look good.

You have to practice, and the mig welding forum gives great charts for current needed to achieve a given job. It means you can trust your penetration.

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

nick205

posted on 10/3/17 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
Must admit I'm still mastering MIG myself, but TIG is attractive as I'm thinking of moving onto some tin top monocoque (sp?) bodywork. MIG works OK for thin sheet metal, but it's not hard to make holes instead of neat joins

Myke 2463

posted on 11/3/17 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
For similar money look at the r-tech range.

Great kit and unbeatable after sales service.

Agreed, check them out, also their bargain section.

Be Lucky Mike.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.