Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Velocity XT SR20DET project and advice required
zebwach

posted on 27/3/17 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
Velocity XT SR20DET project and advice required

Hi there ladies and gents,

I purchased a SR20DET engined Velocity XT at the start of last year. It was a little rough around the edges, but even coming from a close to 400bhp VX220 Turbo, its still bonkers quick and the most fun iv ever had on four wheels!

Anyway, enough tipsy waffle.... Iv decided to throw some money at it to make it even more special. Its currently with a good friend in Coventry undergoing some surgery, the number one task being raising the engine as there is currently 1.5 to 2inches at best clearance to the sump(iv emptied my oil in several locations around the country within 6k miles). I’ve purchased a carbon scoop from Kit Car Direct, but would like a fresh bonnet to attach it to as the current one has various cut outs already. To clarify, the engine is already almost touching the bonnet and it shall require cutting more when the engine is raised. Does anyone have contact information for me to attain a new bonnet (preferably carbon)?

This is the car I purchased...

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=202069

New parts purchased and ready to be installed include:-

Carbon Dash
Billet Aluminium Switches
Digi Dash
LED Rear Light Clusters
3rd Brake Light
Greddy Profec OLED Boost Controller
Carbon wheel arches, carbon aero screen, carbon bonnet scoop, carbon wing mirrors and carbon rear arch protectors
Toyo R888R 205/50 R15 front and Toyo R888 225/45 R15 rear (R888R rears not available until Sept)
New Disks and Mintex 1144 pads all round
New plugs (boring!)
Custom Intercooler to replace Charge Cooler (not yet purchased)

Upon collection I intend to have it wrapped in candy apply red, have a full cage installed, custom map from Horshom Developments and have the geo tweaked again (I’m much heavier than the previous owner!) by pro comp.

The engine is currently standard (except for a 270bhp Horshom generic map) and recently proven to have very healthy compression. In addition to contact information for fresh body work, any other cost effective mods advice while it is in bits would be appreciated?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Zach

PS. Look forward to seeing you all at the Coventry kit car show

[Edited on 27/3/17 by zebwach]

[Edited on 27/3/17 by zebwach]

Nickp

posted on 28/3/17 at 06:15 AM Reply With Quote
Looks fun, is it still a Dutton?
zebwach

posted on 28/3/17 at 06:35 AM Reply With Quote
It is, the performance value to money ratio is off the scale! It's all legal, how would registering it as a lugo benefit me apart from having to go through alot of faff? If there's a valid reason to then I may do in the future.
Nickp

posted on 28/3/17 at 06:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zebwach
It is, the performance value to money ratio is off the scale! It's all legal, how would registering it as a lugo benefit me apart from having to go through alot of faff? If there's a valid reason to then I may do in the future.

Well, it would make it legal, which it currently isn't I'm afraid

Currently going through the 'faff' to make mine so.

zebwach

posted on 28/3/17 at 07:03 AM Reply With Quote
Interesting.... i was under the impression it was fully legit. Ill look into it and make sure its the next thing that happens if that is the case.

Any contacts for new bonnets?!

Nickp

posted on 28/3/17 at 07:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Interesting.... i was under the impression it was fully legit. Ill look into it and make sure its the next thing that happens if that is the case.

Any contacts for new bonnets?!

Sorry, no. You can't just give a vehicle another identity, it's called 'ringing'. Totally illegal and will invalidate your insurance amongst other things

CosKev3

posted on 28/3/17 at 07:07 AM Reply With Quote
Would it not be easier to modify the sump than lift the engine?
Then if it's still slightly below chassis fit a sump guard?

Dave Bailey

posted on 28/3/17 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
Just some info... I don't want to comment on the Dutton situation...

the chassis may well be a Velocity XT but the panels are most definitely not. The bonnet and nose on an XT are taller than the std car and the bonnet has a bulge to accommodate slightly taller engines and offer some under bonnet cooling.. getting the correct panels may help getting the ground clearance you want. I have an ST170 in mine which still has the VVT valve although I have also dry sumped it.

Dave B

zebwach

posted on 28/3/17 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
I was led to believe that as it was registered like this so long ago when it was the way that it was done, that it is ok. I know that it is not legal any more, but it used to be and cars registered like this when it was are exempt. Ill get reading and look into it further, if it is the case then it will be sorted. What a PITA!

The higher bonnet sounds interesting.... Have you got a link or number where the taller original Velocity XT nose cone and bonnet can be purchased (preferably in carbon)?

Dave Bailey

posted on 28/3/17 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
I think Ben @ Luego still supplies Panels but when I asked him last not in Carbon... do a google search on Luego....

Dave B

Dick Axtell

posted on 28/3/17 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Looks fun, is it still a Dutton?

quote:
It is,......It's all legal,

Really???????
quote:
If there's a valid reason to then I may do in the future.

Certainly is a valid reason; see other replies from Nickp.

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.