Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ginetta G27 front shock
AlexXtreme

posted on 4/5/17 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
Ginetta G27 front shock

I have to replace the front shocks on my G27. Currently I have the triumph based set up with the coil over steel shocks arrangement - ie not the Sierra.

Can I replace the steel shocks with alloy versions from procomp (ie protech shocks)?

I realise I will need to cut back the spacers as the end fittings are wider but should everything else fit?

Just for interest - where are the original shocks from? All the original parts list I have from Alan Fereday show the Sierra based upright shocks

Alex

AntonUK

posted on 4/5/17 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
I have spax aluminium coil overs on mine. There is a bracket attached to the chassis to take the top circular bearing at the top of the shock body. I can get some photos at the weekend?

Build Photos Here

AlexXtreme

posted on 4/5/17 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Anton, which suspension do you have? Mine is the triumph spitfire version I think..
here pics a pic of suspension incl the top fitting
https://goo.gl/photos/W4Nh2ny6XUyG7RRs8
Alex

AntonUK

posted on 4/5/17 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
My uprights are sierra, but looking at your bottom arms they are the same except for the bottom ball joint. My coilovers are spax mounted the same as yours, bar a slightly different top plate.

If the protech are wider it's only a qiuick lathe job to knock new spacers up.

Build Photos Here

AntonUK

posted on 4/5/17 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
I've added a few photos to my gallery that I have handy

Build Photos Here

AlexXtreme

posted on 4/5/17 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
great pics Anton... do not have a lathe so it would be the hack saw plus a file if I have to reduce them.
hope to get it sorted as I sent the original to procomp and they said that the new alloy shocks will be made to match the original steel shocks...
What is your car like on the track...? do you firm up the suspension? Cheers Alex

AntonUK

posted on 5/5/17 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
The car is pretty firm anyway as the springs (unknown weight) are setup for track not the road. I leave the shocks set quite mildly at all times.

It is something on the todo list to swap them out at some point with something a little more middle ground.

Have a look on McGill Motorsport to see if they have any missalignment plates to the rightt size you need?

Build Photos Here

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.