Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tax Exempt F27
jsims

posted on 11/5/17 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
Tax Exempt F27

Hi, does anybody know the rules regarding whether a Kit Car can become tax exempt?.

I was under the impression that the rules on Tax are based on build date rather than the registration letter. My Formula 27 is on an old "R" suffix registration but was built in 1995. I have just looked my registration up on the DVLA vehicle enquiry website and it is showing date of registration as June 1977 and the Year of Manufacture as 1977. It is correctly registered as a Formula 27.

Does this mean I may get away with tax exemption (zero rate) from June 2017? or is there another DVLA register which will show the actual build date of 1995?

Thanks

Jed

gremlin1234

posted on 11/5/17 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
certainly possible to have tax exempt kit cars. (well historic, tax at zero rate)
I think it depends on if it kept the original numberplate on the old points system to qualify as the same car- which it looks like yours did ;-)

simon h

posted on 11/5/17 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
All you can do is to apply and see what happens.

The worst that can happen, as its correctly registered, is they say no as far as I can see.

As it says registered and used 1977 then I don't see why they wont do it.

nick205

posted on 11/5/17 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
In my own experience the DVLA are far from infallible!

As above if you try it and see what happens. Worst case they correct the built/used year and tax charge.

Russell

posted on 11/5/17 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
Just take the V5 to a Post Office, tell them it's now a historic vehicle, they retain the V5 and send it to DVLA and you get a new one in the post. Simple and free.
It's got do do with the date of first registration of the donor vehicle, nothing to do with kit build date or retention of the donor registration mark.
I speak from experience. I've just had my free road tax renewal notice.

[Edited on 11/5/17 by Russell]

I'm a bilingual illiterate. I can't read in two languages.

jsims

posted on 11/5/17 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks all
RoadkillUK

posted on 11/5/17 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
DVLA website states, 'Built or registered before 8 Jan 1977'

My Locost is an 'S' reg suffix, so a 1978 Plate, but the V5 states that it was registered in 2004.

However, as previously stated, the DVLA are not infallible so I reckon it's a 50/50. Good Luck

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.