Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Towing with a Transit information please
JacksAvon

posted on 19/7/17 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Towing with a Transit information please

The story so far.

I have been racing for some years in a variety of cars carried on different trailers towed by a wide variety of vans/cars.

As age increases more comfort is required.

This year I have used a Mitsubishi Delica.
Superb vehicle, will pull up trees.
Towed back from Cadwell via the Cat and Fiddle pub in the Peak district, didn't even twitch.
Sadly it is up for sale.

But, age and old bones dictates the need for more room.

We now get to the question.

I am considering a Transit.
Ideally needs to be;
Short wheel base
Rear wheel drive...........or does it need to be?
125bhp minimum...........or does it need to be more or less?
Tow bar already fitted
Under 100,000 miles
I will be towing a combined weight' car and trailer of approximately 1300kg
Considering this;
2012 Ford Transit 2.2 TDCI 125 BHP Crewcab 5 Seater Day Van Camper MX MTB SWB

Or this and convert myself;
2008 08 FORD TRANSIT 2.4 TDCI RWD 330 SWB 140BHP WITH TWIN SIDE DOORS RARE VAN !

Now, knowing the collective LCB Brain there will be other ideas and opinions re vehicle types and abilities.
Fire away chaps, I need as much help with this that I can get before I unchain my wallet and blow out the dust.

Thanks in advance
Jack

[Edited on 083131p://4420 by JacksAvon]

The sickness started in 2001 with a Robin Hood 3A, Prelit Westy,Tiger Cub, Tiger Avon, Tiger R6, 16v Mini, Sylva Fury Fireblade, Westfield Sei, Mallock Mk11, Fireblade Locost, Tiger Avon, Procomp LA Gold, Mk26 Mallock...........and now a Mk18 Mallock.....LR750, Vandiemen FX02

jossey

posted on 19/7/17 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
I've towed my clio, tiger and Westy on different occasions with the 2.2 transit with no issues.

That transit I think. Was front wheel drive.
Also towed with a ducato 1.9 camper which was awful very painful on any incline. Then bought a ducato camper with the 2.8 which was great.

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SteveWalker

posted on 19/7/17 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
Make sure you check the towing limits carefully, some are rated for very heavy towed loads, while others are rated for only 400-500kg !!
benchmark51

posted on 19/7/17 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
I have a Transit Minibus, medium wheelbase, hightop. 145 bhp, 2.3 Duratec petrol/lpg rear wheel drive. Leather captain seats. Have a stand alone awning too. Was ex- NHS patient bus. Very quiet ride and doesn't stink of diesel. Have towed a trailer and used a dolly with no problems at all. Had it about 4 years. I would recommend it anyday.
Mash

posted on 20/7/17 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
I have an ex RAC Transit SWB 330 100PS RWD, and I love it

330 refers to the gross weight which is 3300Kg

The 330 RWDs have a maximum train weight of 5300 which means you can tow a trailer with an all up weight of 2000KG if your van is fully loaded to it's 3300Kg max. So that 330 you looked at should easily do the job.

The other one is definitely a RWD.

If you can get the registration number you will be able to check it's details here:

Ford ETIS

You will also be able to check the final drive ratio there. Mine was 5.11 when I got it, which meant it was thrashing itself at anything over 60MPH, but I have changed the rear axle to a 3.73 one which means it is far more comfortable at motorway cruising (obviously not when towing as you're limited by law then anyway). It also still tows my trailer and MK Indy without even noticing.

I joined the Transit forum:

Transit forum

A massive source of info for you and a core of really nice blokes who are always willing to help you out. A lot of them are also tradesmen, so a good place to get advice on anything DIY
They have helped me sort out cruise control, and one or two of them are experts on the software for the vehicle and have helped me adjust it so tht I now get 37 mpg out of it

You can convert it yourself, I have fitted side windows, 150 for the pair on ebay, and a tailgate from a Tourneo with a rear window and wiper, plus a Tourneo second row of seats ( I have a spare set of seats going cheap if you're interested), and a half height bulkhead There are some pictures of mine in my archive.

My only reservation, would be that if you are going to use it for sleeping/living for more than a night, then the low roof RWD vans are restricted on headroom. If that's the case go for a medium roof or a high roof.

redturner
Senior Builder

Posts 449
Registered 9/11/12

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Run 2 ltr Black Top in single seater race car.

posted on 20/7/17 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jossey
I've towed my clio, tiger and Westy on different occasions with the 2.2 transit with no issues.

That transit I think. Was front wheel drive.
Also towed with a ducato 1.9 camper which was awful very painful on any incline. Then bought a ducato camper with the 2.8 which was great.

I have run a FIAT Ducato Autosleeper Harmony for the past 5 years. This is the 1.9 tdi and can be a bit sluggish on hills, but I tow my race car plus all the usual gear 2000 miles across France every year and it isn't problem. It come with shower, toilet etc, all the things to make us old rickety drivers survive better. There are times when a rear wheel drive vehicle might have been better when trying to get out of soggy grass paddocks, but there is always some one to help out if required. I also appreciate the full head room it gives. Previous to this I had an LDV Convoy ex. police people carrier that I converted into a camper, but without a shower. This had the 2.5 Peugeot engine and was of course rear wheel drive. A brilliant driver.....

JacksAvon

posted on 20/7/17 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks chaps, great information

Jack

The sickness started in 2001 with a Robin Hood 3A, Prelit Westy,Tiger Cub, Tiger Avon, Tiger R6, 16v Mini, Sylva Fury Fireblade, Westfield Sei, Mallock Mk11, Fireblade Locost, Tiger Avon, Procomp LA Gold, Mk26 Mallock...........and now a Mk18 Mallock.....LR750, Vandiemen FX02

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 20/7/17 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
I'm still using my 2002 T330 Transhit, LWB Hi-Top. It's the 2.4 TDi (mechanical injection), 75 BHP, 3.5T, 2T tow limit.
Tows all over the UK, has a bunk bed in the back, all I really need.
Highly recommended.

JoelP

posted on 26/7/17 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
What's the reasoning behind RWD? Would FWD not be better if you ended up snaking?

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.