Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Consumer Rights Act Question
SteveWallace

posted on 10/8/17 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
Consumer Rights Act Question

I have a mobile phone on a pay monthly contract from a well known media service provider who I will name once they have either given me good service or not.

The phone is less than 6 months old (just) and has started to go wrong. I phoned their help line and they (quite reasonably) said that it might be a software problem so they told me to do a full factory reset. This was a pain as I had to back everything up first and then reload everything (a nerve wracking experience when half of your life is stored on the phone!), but I went along with it.

Unfortunately, it hasn't worked, so its probably a hardware problem. My issue is that I need the phone so I would not be happy if I had to send it in for repair. Therefore, I want a replacement. I might be being cynical, but I am anticipating an argument when I request this.

My understanding of the consumer rights act is that if a fault develops within six months the provider would normally be required to offer a repair, but if this would result in significant inconvenience to the consumer then they have to offer a replacement.

Does anyone have any experience of this or can anyone offer any tips for getting what I need?

"I know every nut and bolt and cog in that car, I built it myself" - The Prisoner, 1967

SteveWallace

posted on 10/8/17 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
Ok, I've now phoned them - its Virgin Media.

I know its not the fault of the person on the other end of the phone as they are only following a script, but even though the phone is less than 6 months old they are refusing to replace it.

He said that the only option is to send it in for repair and that the fact that I signed a contract means that I have voided my rights under the Consumer Rights Act. I told him that no contract can over right UK law, but he wouldn't have it, saying that I had a choice not to sign.

I've made a formal complaint, but apparently it will take a week for them to even start the process then the escalation process could take months. Meanwhile I'm left with a virtually unusable phone. This is totally unsatisfactory and I would recommend that anyone thinking of using Virgin Media think again.

I am really regretting adopting Virgin Media e-mail accounts for me and my family as it means that it would be very disruptive if we cancel all of the services that they provide.

Not a happy bunny!

"I know every nut and bolt and cog in that car, I built it myself" - The Prisoner, 1967

tajgreidotu

posted on 10/8/17 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
I understand your point, but no company will offer you a replacement without inspecting the phone, as they wont accept responsibility over your issue without confirming it's actually their fault.

You cannot imagine how many products are returned as faulty and actually have been ruined by the user.

I think your only choice is to ask for a replacement during those days.

Good luck!

gremlin1234

posted on 10/8/17 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
This was a pain as I had to back everything up first and then reload everything (a nerve wracking experience when half of your life is stored on the phone!), but I went along with it.?

reminder to everyone, backup your phone occasionally!

WallerZero

posted on 10/8/17 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

This should help you out. The contract, as you said, does not and cannot override your rights by law, if it says it does, the contract is illegal and you then have a bigger fight lol.

Basically you have to give them the chance to repair it if they choose that option. It might be easier asking if anyone you know has an old phone you can borrow during that time to cause the minimum amount of disruption but unfortunately thats what happens when things break.

I would continue with them getting it repaired and start a further complaint at the way the customer service adviser has made false claims and handled your call. Claiming their contracts remove your rights protected by law definitely wouldn't go down well. Stick something on twitter to them about that, pretty sure it wouldn't go down well if their staff are thinking they are above the law

http://zachsgbszero.blogspot.co.uk/

joneh

posted on 10/8/17 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
Buy a cheap £20 android phone from Tesco and a SIM adapter and send your old one off for repair.

Don't waste your time being angry and getting no where.

fossett

posted on 10/8/17 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
if it's an iPhone, just make an appointment online and walk it into an apple store
SteveWallace

posted on 10/8/17 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tajgreidotu
I understand your point, but no company will offer you a replacement without inspecting the phone, as they wont accept responsibility over your issue without confirming it's actually their fault.

You cannot imagine how many products are returned as faulty and actually have been ruined by the user.

I think your only choice is to ask for a replacement during those days.

Good luck!

Normally I would agree with your first point but under the CRA if a fault develops within the first six months then the seller has to assume that the item had a fault when they sold it. After 6 months you have to prove that you didn't break it.

One of the things that really annoyed me was his attitude - not only was he insistent that I had signed away my consumer rights and that OFCOM had told them as much , he also strongly implied that I must have dropped it.

I phoned back after I had calmed down and got a much more understanding person who actually said that she agreed with me but that she couldn't do anything about it. I asked her if they could loan me a replacement but they don't do that. She also said that they have a 6 day turn around for repairs and that they could send me a sim to put in my old phone (takes normal sims and not the micro ones, otherwise I would have swapped it myself by now).

I will end up sending it in for repair, but I am very sceptical that they will fix it as its an intermittent fault - they'll probably just do another factory reset, test it for 5 minutes and send it back. I'm probably going to go and get an cheap second hand unlocked phone that takes a micro sim and then cancel my contract with Virgin at the first possible opportunity.

If you could keep e-mail addresses in the same way that you can keep phone numbers when you change providers then I would cancel all of our services with Virgin and they would be loosing ca. £1500 per annum of business.

SWIMBO is also due for a new phone, so Virgin will have lost two customers all because their starting point is that the customer is never right. I'm going to continue with the formal complaint and shop the original call handler for his appalling attitude.

SteveWallace

posted on 10/8/17 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joneh

Don't waste your time being angry and getting no where.

I know. They don't give a S@*t about customer service or the loss of business of one angry customer because they know that they pick up as many customers as they loose due to everyone else being equally as bad.

Getting angry just ruins my day whereas they have forgotten about it and gone on to the next call 10 seconds later. I was going to play in the garage this morning but I was too annoyed and I knew that I would break something if I tried.

theconrodkid

posted on 10/8/17 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
I had a similar problem with them,signed up as a new customer,within a week phone had died,they sent a replacement,that didnt work out of the box,they sent a battered old one as a replacement,i was not amused and cancelled the contract....then they sent the balifs letter, i replied that we had a contract,i give them money,they give me a phone that works,they didnt see it that way so i will never deal with them again .
car phone warehouse,totaly opposite attitude and you can speak to someone face to face .

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Mr Whippy

posted on 10/8/17 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
quote:
This was a pain as I had to back everything up first and then reload everything (a nerve wracking experience when half of your life is stored on the phone!), but I went along with it.?

that was my first thought! I use google drive and photo's on auto update and keep the bare minimum on my phone, anything I need where I may not get wifi I keep on the SD card

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gremlin1234

posted on 10/8/17 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
...they could send me a sim to put in my old phone (takes normal sims and not the micro ones, otherwise I would have swapped it myself by now).

if you need an adaptor to make the tiny sims bigger, pick up a payg tri-sim at a newsagent, press the payg sim out, push your current sim in, and then select the size you want.

[Edited on 10/8/17 by gremlin1234]

PSpirine

posted on 10/8/17 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
If it helps, I've just spent 5 days on the phone to O2 trying to carryover my old number to my new contract. Both on O2, for the record.

Incompetence doesn't even begin to summarise it. So you're not alone with your woes!

Fortunately it appears to be resolved after 3 attempts to cock it up on their part. In two minds whether write up a formal complaint about it all (and get a £10 voucher), or just have a beer. Leaning towards the latter to be honest.

Just stick it in another phone with an adaptor as above, and send off for repair and keep on them to fix it/replace it. I see their side to a certain extent (they need a chance to fix it before doing anything else).

craigdiver

posted on 10/8/17 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

No modern phone, android or iphone needs user intervention to back-up. Just make sure backup is enabled in settings and everything will be automatically backed up to google (android) or icloud (iphone). I use both and when I change my phone all I need to do is log into my apple or google account on the phone and everything is there as it was on the other phone.

Thank you technology :-)

If it ain't broken, fix it anyway (just because).

Building - BMW powered Haynes Roadster/442E hybrid.

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

SteveWallace

posted on 10/8/17 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
...they could send me a sim to put in my old phone (takes normal sims and not the micro ones, otherwise I would have swapped it myself by now).

if you need an adaptor to make the tiny sims bigger, pick up a payg tri-sim at a newsagent, press the payg sim out, push your current sim in, and then select the size you want.

[Edited on 10/8/17 by gremlin1234]

I ended up getting a sim adapter so I've now put the sim back in my old Galaxy s III mini. I'm sending the newer phone back tomorrow and I'll be looking for a discount on my monthly bill whilst I'm using my crappy old phone again.

To be honest, I have no faith that they will repair it properly as its an intermittent fault. I fully expect them to do a factory reset again (even though I've already tried that), test it for 5 minutes, decide that it works and then send it back to me (and repeat). However, I don't appear to have any choice but to give it a go.

chillis

posted on 10/8/17 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
If your phone is on a contract then its not your phone until the contract ends, as such, the CRA only applies to the contract not necessarily the items supplied under it. Thus the person you spoke to at VM may well be right. Either way you don't really have much choice other than to send the phone in for assessment where they will either repair or replace.
It used to be that if the contract phone was faulty you just phoned them up and they sent out a new one often not wanting the other one back - that's where about half the cheap iphones on ebay came from. The phone contract companies don't do that anymore and want the faulty phone back whatever.

Never under estimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

hearbear

posted on 10/8/17 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
They won't repair it they will just send out a new phone as that is the cheaper option for them.

3.9Ltr SSC Stylus should be fun

chillis

posted on 11/8/17 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
Repair or replace is their choice, but either way, these days, they will want the phone back, it is theirs after all. HB is probably right they will send out a new one with an intermittent fault, but the choice is theirs to make not yours and I don't suppose they take kindly to demands for a new phone. You are contracted to a service, they 'lend' you a phone so you can make use of that service. Too many people don't seem to understand that IME.

Never under estimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.