Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: IKEA - sad day [RANT]
nick205

posted on 12/10/17 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
IKEA - sad day [RANT]

[RANT]

Day off yesterday to clear son no. 1's bedroom and receive new carpet + fitter. Not really much effort or hassle - job done!

Then had to assemble various bits of Ikea furniture for him, including a wardrobe, bed, shelves, pendant light and desk. Granted Ikea are cheap to buy from and on the whole their stuff is OK if you take a bit of care putting it together.

However yesterday didn't go so well

1. Parts missing (screws, feet and a timber section)
2. Parts with "white" p/n on the box (Beech finish part inside the box)
3. Pendant light with 2 metres of cable (how high do Ikea think UK ceilings are?)
4. Enough cardboard packaging to wrap the Titanic 3 times

As an avid Locostbuilder I got around all issues except the wrongly labelled (wrong colour) parts. For the wrong colour parts you (apparently) have to return them to the shop for exchange - what an arse ache

[/RANT]

Sorry - moan over - had to get it off my chest though!

Hope all others had a better day

[Edited on 12/10/17 by nick205]

cliftyhanger

posted on 12/10/17 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
The issues are always the same.
I recently assembled furniture for 2x6 bed student houses, over 2 tonne delivery! The amount of packaging was astronomical.

However, everything was correct. I thought the days of missing/incorrect parts was over. Saying that, when I fitted an ikea kitchen, some shelves were incorrect when delivered, and I phoned. New, correct, ones arrived next day. So may be worth a phone call??

The problems with lights isn't just ikea. Daughter chose a chandelier. It would have just about touched the floor! Garage skills came into play, removed all the chain and a few other bits, and hey presto, but for many that wouldn't be an option. Doubt a sparky would either.

daviep

posted on 12/10/17 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
That is indeed a sad day

Like Clifty I have built several Ikea kitchens and just about everything in the furniture range without a single problem. I hope standards are not slipping at Ikea!

Cheers
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

nick205

posted on 12/10/17 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
The issues are always the same.
I recently assembled furniture for 2x6 bed student houses, over 2 tonne delivery! The amount of packaging was astronomical.

However, everything was correct. I thought the days of missing/incorrect parts was over. Saying that, when I fitted an ikea kitchen, some shelves were incorrect when delivered, and I phoned. New, correct, ones arrived next day. So may be worth a phone call??

The problems with lights isn't just ikea. Daughter chose a chandelier. It would have just about touched the floor! Garage skills came into play, removed all the chain and a few other bits, and hey presto, but for many that wouldn't be an option. Doubt a sparky would either.

SWMBO did phone them, but they were less than helpful on the phone - simple response was "go back to the store".

1. Time off work.
2. Travel time and cost.
3. Irritation.
4. At least label the boxes correctly.

Agreed the light cable length probably not isolated to Ikea. Yes practicality and experience got around it. Again - WHY? - if we all had 40ft high ceilings it might be appropriate, but in the UK (and I suspect most countries) - NO.

loggyboy

posted on 12/10/17 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
Funny, I have had stupid amounts of Ikea furniture over past 15 years, and I have never had ANY problems. Even on the 1-2 used items I have bought.
No doubt gone and jinxed my self for my next visit/purchase.

Mistral Motorsport

Irony

posted on 12/10/17 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
I have built several Ikea kitchens, and dozens of other bits of furniture. I have NEVER had a single screw, nut or bolt out of place. If anything I think their standards are improving. They supply little panel pin guides now free with every cabinet that has a hardwood back. Total Genius!

Just saying

loggyboy

posted on 12/10/17 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony
They supply little panel pin guides now free with every cabinet that has a hardwood back. Total Genius!

Just saying

I also liked the plastic handle they have added to the allen keys to make them easier to get purchase.

Mistral Motorsport

nick205

posted on 12/10/17 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
quote:
Originally posted by Irony
They supply little panel pin guides now free with every cabinet that has a hardwood back. Total Genius!

Just saying

I also liked the plastic handle they have added to the allen keys to make them easier to get purchase.

Not seen those, but then I opt to use my own Allen keys anyway

loggyboy

posted on 12/10/17 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

http://a-review-a-day.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/todays-review-improved-ikea-allen-keys.html

Mistral Motorsport

MikeR

posted on 12/10/17 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
i like the little nail holder so you hammer the right distance in & don't hit your fingers.

I often think "damn - bit missing" but when i look properly its there, hiding under something.

Hate the stuff as its so ubiquitous but we still buy it as its cost effective and does what we need.

v8kid

posted on 12/10/17 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
So that's what its for!!!

Must start reading instructions some day

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 12/10/17 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
i like the little nail holder so you hammer the right distance in & don't hit your fingers.

I often think "damn - bit missing" but when i look properly its there, hiding under something.

Hate the stuff as its so ubiquitous but we still buy it as its cost effective and does what we need.

True - we might bemoan it, but it's cheap and generally does what's needed.

nick205

posted on 12/10/17 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

http://a-review-a-day.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/todays-review-improved-ikea-allen-keys.html

Interesting - still prefer my longer ball ended Allen keys though

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.