Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Steaming TV??
cliftyhanger

posted on 21/10/17 at 06:40 AM Reply With Quote
Steaming TV??

Feeling naffed off.
We have horrendous TV reception at home (The freeview checker says we can get 18 channels at our address, down the road they get 82! must live a a dead zone)
We have BT broadband, and saw we could get their youview (humax I believe) box for no subscription, just £40 setup. On the basis of the adverstisng and I quote
All our TV packages use BT Broadband to deliver programmes to your TV.

Not true, you still use the aerial, so absolutely no advantage at all. Sent a cancellation notice for the TV package, see how that pans out.

So, over to the collective wisdom of Locostbuilders.

Is there a simple way of streaming live TV channels. Not after hacked/illegal/pirate content, just the std freeview channels. And really something that does not involve having to get the laptop out etc to watch, though that may not be a real issue I guess. Obviously I don't want a subscription service, happy to buy a box or whatever though.

Cheers
Clive

rusty nuts

posted on 21/10/17 at 07:00 AM Reply With Quote
Have you considered Freesat? If the TV has built in satellite reception then you just need a dish.

PS I once had a steaming radio in an old mini where the overflow pipe from the rad was missing causing the overflow to squirt onto the bulkhead and drip onto the radio. A passenger commented on it and believed me when I told him the radio was steam powered it was so old

[Edited on 21/10/17 by rusty nuts]

ianhurley20

posted on 21/10/17 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
Another vote for freesat - my friend uses an old Sky box he picked up for £1 he got at a boot sale, think you need a free card to enable some of the british channels - or - my TV has it - or you can get a dedicated freesat box, you will need a small dish (Sky?) if you haven't got one. See http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page14.htm

and
http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/freeview.htm

[Edited on 21/10/17 by ianhurley20]

coozer

posted on 21/10/17 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, go Freesat... Get an open source box and there's a lot of extra free channels from Ireland and all the region's..

Or if you fancy a bit of a project...

Basically I pointed my dish at 19.2. That's the German Astra service. There's thousands of channels coming down and a LOT are free view... Yes, they are in German but if the programme is originally British or American the original soundtrack is broadcast as well as the dubbed one..

Then if you fancy some of the other channels you pay a small fee to get a cline to unlock them...

Thing is I then turned the dish to 16 and then again to 13... Now I have a dish with 4 lbs to get all the satellites! It's infectious!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

britishtrident

posted on 21/10/17 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Freesat is easy enough to set up provided have an unobstructed line of sight to the sky to the south .Yes you can get a thousand stations but 970 of them are junk go for internet tv

Personally having been there I would advise you try an Amazon Fire Stick or Roku Stick . Wee really only watch internet TV (Amazon and Netflix) now apart from the F1, Only Connect, Pointless and Eggheads

[Edited on 21/10/17 by britishtrident]

[Edited on 21/10/17 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

cliftyhanger

posted on 22/10/17 at 06:20 AM Reply With Quote
Freesat looks a like a contender.

Trouble with the Roku stick is that not even BBC1 is supported.... well not directly.

Not sure why there is not a simple/costfree solution to live streaming all TV yet. Maybe that is the issue, people just wont make enough money. Probably change at some point. Just after I have bought something else....

mark chandler

posted on 22/10/17 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
We had the same, tried moving the aerial which did not help so put in a £15 signal booster from maplins which sorted things out.

I stuck it in the loft so had to find some power.

Done this twice now with good results.

David Jenkins

posted on 22/10/17 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
Trouble with the Roku stick is that not even BBC1 is supported.... well not directly.

Roku has BBC's iPlayer, and you can get all their channels through that - admittedly, not direct, but easy.

Freesat is good - the only reason I don't use it much is that I can get all the usual channels off air so can't be bothered to start the sat box. Also, my old sat box isn't HD.

Can anyone suggest a decent HD sat box that isn't too expensive? My old one is Humax, which has been OK-ish. The ability to record would be nice, but not essential.

coozer

posted on 22/10/17 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger

Roku has BBC's iPlayer, and you can get all their channels through that - admittedly, not direct, but easy.

Freesat is good - the only reason I don't use it much is that I can get all the usual channels off air so can't be bothered to start the sat box. Also, my old sat box isn't HD.

Can anyone suggest a decent HD sat box that isn't too expensive? My old one is Humax, which has been OK-ish. The ability to record would be nice, but not essential.

Go to world of satellite and take ya choice..

https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/

I've got an Xtrend ET10000 with 4 tuners running an 85cm dish.

Or here, I got my dish off this one..

http://www.satellitesuperstore.co.uk/cat.htm

[Edited on 22/10/17 by coozer]

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.