Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Buyers guide: MK Indy, MNR, Mac etc
Dazz150

posted on 27/10/17 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
Buyers guide: MK Indy, MNR, Mac etc

Evening all. I have been searching the internet and doing months of research and I have committed to the idea of buying a "seven" type car.

With a budget of 15k, and a BEC preferable im now starting to go out and view cars. Im mechanically minded so im confident in giving the car a look over.

But I was wondering, if you current owners were to go out and buy another seven type car, what have you learnt from ownership and what would be the first thing you would check or examine?

Daf

posted on 27/10/17 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Check it's registered correctly, if in any doubt about this walk away - I'd say this is absolutely the most essential thing to check.

Other than that it's all down to the builder and quality of the build - generally the old rule applies, if it looks right it probably is.

BigMac

posted on 27/10/17 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
Agree with Daf there, if you're mechanically minded you can soon spot a good one after a good conversation with the owner.

Being honest if I were to do it all again and I were looking for a bike engined car, I would go straight for an AB Arion. Having followed Andy and the team for a long while, the workmanship that goes into their cars is superb and really, no one knows more about putting a bike engine in a car than those guys. I'm actually really fond of the looks, too. Could you build one for £15k? Not sure, but the end result would be one hell of a car.

Having had a BEC for nearly a decade now (god, that's gone far too fast!), if I'd be looking one over, as well as general quality I'd be looking at:
* Quality of the cradle/engine mounting, i.e. is it solid mounted or have they taken the time to metalistic bush the cradle
* Is the cooling system up to the job (i.e. not just your standard polo rad)
* Is it running a quality two piece prop with a nice gentle angle on both parts, with a TRT section
* Has the oil system been beefed up, at a minimum I'd want a baffled sump and possibly an external oil cooler (and pressure/temp gauge)
* Not essential, but is it running a good quality exhaust manifold (for your budget, I'd be expecting a well made custom one)
* Again not essential, but a custom ECU/power commander on a custom map by a reputable tuner

Generally when looking a car over, especially one that's self built, I'm always happier when I see torque seal over bolts, or even better, lock wire on the important stuff like the bolts holding the sprocket adaptor to the prop, prop to diff etc.

Whilst reverse isn't essential, if it's a road car I'd recommend it (and some on here wouldn't agree with me) - might be a rare ocurrence but you WILL get caught out when some stubborn guy decides he's not letting you through between parked cars, then won't reverse out of your way! Reverse wise, I'd be going with an electric motor setup next time- tried the Quaife reverse box thing, don't rate it.

Either way, good luck with the search!

CosKev3

posted on 28/10/17 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
With a budget of 15k you can get a nice Westfield Megabusa,if you can afford a Westfield I would get one over all the other manufacturers you list in the title
Andy B

posted on 28/10/17 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
I have a customer selling a mint Westfield Megablade at the moment - it’s road registered and has all the right bits - currently has a 919 blade in it but had the taller bonnet we did to allow cbr1000rr fitment
Finished in bright orange it’s pretty much immaculate and he’s asking £10,500 for it - to be honest I can’t believe it’s still for sale at that money - there’s pictures of it on our AB Performance Facebook page if you scroll down
Best regards
Andy

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.