Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wider pulleys & idlers
Benzine

posted on 13/11/17 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
Wider pulleys & idlers

I'm doing a supercharger install on my MK and the charger uses a multi V belt that is wider than most cars (8 ribs vs the usual 6). I'm after various pulleys to use as idlers and tensioners, but in my search so far the prices have been loco, even second hand.

Does anyone know off the top of their head any cars that use wider pulleys that I can grab some from at the scrapyard? I know supercharged jags do (not going to be at the yard) and I got a wider crank pulley about a year back from a mazda (again not likely to be any at the yard)

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
cliftyhanger

posted on 14/11/17 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
Have you tried searching fleabay (or a catalogue) for 8pk belts? or even 10pk.
That would give you a start point, and obviously worth double checking

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
starterman

posted on 14/11/17 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
How many ribs and what diameter are you looking for?
View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 14/11/17 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
Would the narrower 6 rib belt slip?

I certainly don't know and I suspect you may not either.

If it'll do the job perhaps stick with the 6 rib belt?

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
Oddified

posted on 14/11/17 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
It all depends on the supercharger, boost level, pulley diameters and wrap around the pulleys.

Larger pulleys, at least 180deg wrap and 6pk should do it unless your going for 1.5bar+

Also the belt length range in 6pk is much larger and easier to find than with 7pk or 8pk belts.

When i did mine, i spent a while searching ebay/google for suitable pulleys (power steering and crankshaft pulleys for the larger) Also the Gates Racing blue belts are much much better for drive/life powering a supercharger than regular belts (even good brands).

Ian

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member   Oddified 's Aim
Benzine

posted on 14/11/17 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies everyone

quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
Have you tried searching fleabay (or a catalogue) for 8pk belts? or even 10pk.
That would give you a start point, and obviously worth double checking



Yeah I had a brief look last night, I could get new jag bits but it was the cost that put me off


quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Would the narrower 6 rib belt slip?

I certainly don't know and I suspect you may not either.

If it'll do the job perhaps stick with the 6 rib belt?


I've heard reports of slippage with a 6 rib belt. Couple this with it being part of a compound setup and I'm keen to use a wider belt


quote:
Originally posted by starterman
How many ribs and what diameter are you looking for?


The pulley has 8 'troughs' and 7 peaks. Max belt width would be 28mm. Current max width of the s/c pulley is 35mm.

quote:
Originally posted by Oddified
It all depends on the supercharger, boost level, pulley diameters and wrap around the pulleys.

Larger pulleys, at least 180deg wrap and 6pk should do it unless your going for 1.5bar+

Also the belt length range in 6pk is much larger and easier to find than with 7pk or 8pk belts.

When i did mine, i spent a while searching ebay/google for suitable pulleys (power steering and crankshaft pulleys for the larger) Also the Gates Racing blue belts are much much better for drive/life powering a supercharger than regular belts (even good brands).




It's an eaton m112 and it would be running pulley sizes tantamount to the stock application jag v8 it came from. I'd be able to get at least a 180deg wrap. Thanks, I'll look into gates racing blue belts

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
Benzine

posted on 16/11/17 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
Just got back from a truck breakers with 8 various idlers and tensioners. Almost all the truck engines use 8 rib aux stuff
View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
jossey

posted on 16/11/17 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
My old cobra had one.

I got all my gear from vortech superchargers





Thanks



David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
coozer

posted on 17/11/17 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
Go to Halfords and have a look through the belts then cross reference then in the book to find what car they came off...





1972 V8 Jago

Midlana when I find the space...

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply


go to top






Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.