Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Startrek Descovery
Mr Whippy

posted on 23/1/18 at 07:00 AM Reply With Quote
Startrek Descovery

Yeah I have to admit to being a bit of a fan of Startrek. If you are too or maybe not and you have Netflix they have a new series (ok started Sept last year but it’s going again after the Christmas break).

It’s the best Startrek I’ve ever seen by a long long way BUT if you think it’s something to plonk your 10 year old in front of think again. It’s super violent, gory graphic and sexual content, a great improvement… Special effects are really big budget blockbuster standard, quite a surprise.

The long running story line is a cracker and full of twists, every episode ending is a OMG! Seems to be every Tuesday for a new episode.

I really hope this is a very long running series.

Have a look…

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jeffw

posted on 23/1/18 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
It's funny, I've watched 3 or 4 episodes and got bored with it. I didn't think the space scenes where particularly good either.

WallerZero

posted on 23/1/18 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
I might have to give this another go. Got bored during the first episode, didn't hold my attention so lost the storyline...might have to give it another go now I've finished another series and at a loose end

http://zachsgbszero.blogspot.co.uk/

FuryRebuild

posted on 23/1/18 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
I thought it had a lot of promise, but I turned off last night’s episode. It seemed to rely too much on ‘magic’ stuff as an answer, rather than the mix of politics and blowing stuff up which was more fun. Saying that, the ‘ganglion’ scene was pretty good.

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 23/1/18 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
I'm really liking it tbh, I'm not aware of the mycelium space thing or the spore drive being mentioned elsewhere in the startrek cannon so interested to see where this goes.

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

Ivan

posted on 23/1/18 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
Have just watched the first episode - will definitely watch more.
Mr Whippy

posted on 23/1/18 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
It's funny, I've watched 3 or 4 episodes and got bored with it. I didn't think the space scenes where particularly good either.

Did take a while to get going and was very different to the "normal" type of Star Trek episodes, I think it's one long story based on a book

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Minicooper

posted on 23/1/18 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
I think it's fantastic and a great opportunity to brush up on my Klingon

DaH jImej

Simon

posted on 23/1/18 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
Love it. Brilliant effects, acting and story.
RoadkillUK

posted on 23/1/18 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, quite enjoying it myself ... it took a bit of a twist after the mid-season break too.

While on the subject of space TV series, if you've not seen The Orville yet, I suggest watching that too.

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 24/1/18 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote
Perfect timing. I'm laid up with complications post surgery and bored. I'll get onto this today.

If you never hear from me again either the complications got me out I'm engrossed

snapper

posted on 24/1/18 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
I like it because I am a SciFi geek, also like Expanse.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Simon

posted on 24/1/18 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for The Orville - a bit like Galaxy Quest but funnier
Mr Whippy

posted on 25/1/18 at 06:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
Another vote for The Orville - a bit like Galaxy Quest but funnier

hmm will have to have a look for this, cheers

Mr Whippy

posted on 26/1/18 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
I like it because I am a SciFi geek, also like Expanse.

Have had than on my list on netfix for ages, maybe I should actually watch it...

Slimy38

posted on 26/1/18 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
I started watching Discovery and Orville at roughly the same time, it was really interesting to see two entirely different takes on the 'space opera' genre. I was worried that Orville would just be an hour of Seth Macfarlane's humour, which is ok but can be quite tiresome. But he's come up with some really interesting concepts (with some Seth humour thrown in). Even the ones that are blatant rip-offs of Star Trek episodes are done with sufficient inspiration to make them fresh and watchable.

I'm not overly sure about Discovery. I want to give it the benefit of the doubt, but I have to admit I sat through the last episode thinking 'is something going to happen soon?'.

JC

posted on 26/1/18 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
Just watched this weeks episode on Netflix - I really didn't see that plot twist coming!!!!
RichieW

posted on 26/1/18 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
Expanse is really good. Highly recommend it. Very Sci Fi novelish and quite heavy going but in a good way. A bit at the expense of the story sometimes. The recap at the start of series two quite good for telling you what you've been watching. Quite cyberpunky which was the future when I was young and devouring this sort of thing.

[Edited on 26/1/18 by RichieW]

[Edited on 26/1/18 by RichieW]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.