Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Need an oil extraction pump thingymajiggy
dinosaurjuice

posted on 24/1/18 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
Need an oil extraction pump thingymajiggy

Hi all,

Got a 'new to me' car a few weeks ago. It needs a service soon and the recommended method is with an extraction pump, for various reasons. The final litre or so can come out of one of the sump plugs (it has two ) just in case there is any lumpy bits.

Oil capacity is 9.5 litres, happy to do the extraction in two batches but could an extractor be damaged by overfilling?

So far looking at this: MACHINE MART PELA 650

or this: AMAZON LINKY

or anything anyone else recommends?

thanks
Will

tims31

posted on 24/1/18 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
Just get a normal syringe and a length of clear pipe. May take a little longer but a fraction of the cost of these.

Build: http://www.martinsfurybuild.co.uk/

joneh

posted on 24/1/18 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
I bought a Pela extractor from Force 4 chandlery, worked really well but I've done it the old fashioned way for last couple of times as its easier.

Don't be tempted by the cheaper ones on eBay - I bought one and the tube was massive and didn't fit down the dipstick tube.

SJ

posted on 24/1/18 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a smaller Pela and it works really well. The outer coating on the extraction pipe can easily get damaged though [it is just a plastic coated outer brake cable like you get on a bike].

Makes the job of changing the oil very clean and easy.

Stu

nick205

posted on 24/1/18 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
I've got and used a Pela successfully for some years now on various VAG TDI engines. Sadly on SWMBOs 2007 Touran 1.9 TDI there's a baffle in the sump which prevents the extraction tube entering the sump. Now on the verge of draining via the sump plug.

One comment...9.5 litres of oil in a car seems a lot! Most VAG TDIs I've serviced take about 4.5 litres of oil from empty.

dinosaurjuice

posted on 24/1/18 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the input. Pela seems the safe bet.

Is the tube size the only shortfall on the cheaper ones? Happy to make a DIY tube from bicycle brake cable.. or am i just being tight?

9.5 litres is a lot of oil.... works out nicely though; ill get two services from a 20L drum

Cheers
Will

rusty nuts

posted on 24/1/18 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
2 sump plugs ? Aston Martin?
dinosaurjuice

posted on 24/1/18 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
2 sump plugs ? Aston Martin?

ha not quite. 4.4L TDV8 range rover One sump plug is on the side of the sump and the other is above a cross member, hence the preference to suck the majority of the oil out!

SJ

posted on 24/1/18 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Is the tube size the only shortfall on the cheaper ones? Happy to make a DIY tube from bicycle brake cable.. or am i just being tight?

I have this one: Link to 6l Pela. Not sure what the difference in tubes is.

scudderfish

posted on 24/1/18 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
I've got something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mannesmann-Oil-Suction-Scavenge-Pump/dp/B0000WOPRC/ref=sr_1_8?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1516813540&sr=1-8

Makes it easy peasy.

ianhurley20

posted on 24/1/18 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
I've got two extractors. One is a vacuum thing and takes about 4 litres before it needs emptying and the other is a 12 volt electric Lidl extractor.
The vacuum one works but takes ages but the very cheap Lidl thing is great. Ok you have to wait until they sell them each year but it works very well indeed.

I got them after some dork at a garage used tremendous force to tighten the sump plug on my sons partners Clio. When I came to change the oil it was impossible to remove the sump plug without damage so I used vacuum first time and later the Lidl one. The second has been so good I use it on a number of cars as it saves taking the undertray off which takes ages

briarswood57

posted on 24/1/18 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
Yep I can vouch for the Lidl one - works a treat and cheap as chips.
SJ

posted on 24/1/18 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

the other is a 12 volt electric Lidl extractor.

I've got one of those but never used it!

steve m

posted on 24/1/18 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
Ive got the lidl one as well, but it does get hot

best results ive had is to start the car up, leave idling for 5 mins, and shut off, and suck the oil out, as its runny and warm

however, I always alternate between sucking the oil out, and proper oil changes with the sump plug every 5k on all my cars, as the suck method does not clear out the crud in the bottom of the sump

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

dinosaurjuice

posted on 25/1/18 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
Electric extractor pump This is why i like locostbuilders

Thanks guys

nick205

posted on 25/1/18 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SJ
quote:

I have this one: Link to 6l Pela. Not sure what the difference in tubes is.

That's the one I have - works well and the tube fits down the dipstick tube easily.

loggyboy

posted on 25/1/18 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a lidl one and it was crap.
Struggled to suck any oil out of the Clio, admittedly was cold oil, but engine was fucked so wasnt able to start and warm it.
Was great for draining all of the coolant neatly, but oil -nope it just wouldnt budge.

Mistral Motorsport

scudderfish

posted on 25/1/18 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, oil needs to be warm. Tried it on my V8 cold and got nowhere
on_eighty_runner

posted on 25/1/18 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
I have the sealy 6.5 litre unit I got for my smart roadster (no sump nut ) and a short oil change interval but was about €70.
After about 12 changes has paid for itself. Has an automatic overfill valve.

The first time I used it it was painfully slow but the next time i used it the oil was at hot and it sucked all the oil out in less than 2 minutes. Reached under the rear bumper changed the filter and refilled with oil.

The whole thing done wearing shirt/trousers in the time it took my coffee to cool to the right temperature!

The other option is a sump drain valve. They replace the sump nut and allow you to fit a flexi waste hose. Simply open the valve and it flows out without tools or mess. There is a lock to stop it opening accidentally. Cut a strategic hole in the undertray and your good!

phelpsa

posted on 26/1/18 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
https://www.screwfix.com/p/oil-fluid-extractor-6ltr/21663?tc=RT4&ds_rl=1247848&ds_rl=1245250&gclid=Cj0KCQiAwKvTBRC2ARIsAL0Dgk123543YkYXJN0 A_r_eVyT8e8MYEzx4nnfp4rIHjMYhHVgBzEd5CbcaAueyEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CPfistHT9dgCFWEj0wodqZoGpw

I use one of these, seems pretty good. Will suck the 0w30 out of the Volvo even when cold....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dinosaurjuice

posted on 29/1/18 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
UPDATE.

Bought an electric extractor pump from amazon, £18. If its no good it will be going straight back and ill get the £50 unit from Screwfix

Will

dinosaurjuice

posted on 5/2/18 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
Another update

Drove car for a few miles to warm oil up, attached the pump to the oil removal tube under bonnet, hooked it up to a 12v battery and 9 litres came out in about 5 minutes As soon as it started sucking air i drained the remaining pint or so out of the sump plugs.
Worked an absolute treat, thoroughly recommended!

Oil_suction_pump
Oil_suction_pump

Cheers,
Will

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.