Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Silicone Brake fluid?
Bob da builder

posted on 14/1/05 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
Silicone Brake fluid?

hey up....

i have just got a MGB GT and it has silicone brake and clutch fluid in it..... i have loads of universal dot 4 in the garage and want to drain the system..... i know that the two dont mix.... but will a simple flush thourgh with the universal fluid be ok? or will i have to get a solvent cleaner? or just stick to silicone now??

whilst on the subject..... the brake peadle is a bit funny..... on hard braking the peadle is nice and firm.. but on slow brakeing the peadle travels down to the floor! there are no leaks, spoke to a company called `past parts` who deal with old vehicles and commercial gear, he thourght that the symptons suggested that the travel was due to the silicone fluid as its not great in 34year old cars!! i put it to him that it may be the seals in the master cyl knackered, but he didnt think that this was the case... and i believe him as i had a service kit in stock and didnt want to sell it to me untill i tries the fluid theory!! also i cant see any leaks in the system and its not loosing fluid!

any suggestions guys???

cheers

bob

David Jenkins

posted on 14/1/05 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
Sponginess - very hard to get rid of air in silicone fluid, as I found to my annoyance. Shouldn't go to the floor, but it'll never feel firm.

Getting rid of it - I flushed mine out with DOT4 until it looked clean (the two mixed together looks cloudy). After some research I worked out that you can't chase DOT4 out with silicone, but you should be able to do it the other way round. Time will tell...

David

britishtrident

posted on 14/1/05 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Nothing to do with the fluid.
The problem is due to the recuperating seal/vavle n the mastercylinder leaking back to the resevoir -- a new repair kit will fix it.

[Edited on 14/1/05 by britishtrident]

David Jenkins

posted on 14/1/05 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
Agreed - if you're able to floor the pedal then fluid's leaking through somewhere. Changing seals etc. is easy - even I managed it!
While you're at it, it'll be a very good time to get rid of the silicone fluid, as you can clean all the parts and flush out the pipes (not as time-consuming as it sounds). I found that this stuff always made the pedal 'bouncy'; it may have worked safely enough, but it just didn't feel right to me.

cheers,

David

atomic

posted on 14/1/05 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
For anyone needing to buy new brake fluid I recommend you try ATE Super Blue Racing. This is a very good fluid used by many race teams due to its excellent stability. For very reasonable prices try Questmead (http://www.questmead.co.uk/).

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.