Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: fiesta ecoboost
theconrodkid

posted on 4/3/18 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
fiesta ecoboost

Friend of mine is about to buy a new fiesta ecoboost, the 3 pot jobbie and is wondering about if the 85 hp offering is any good , the 100 hp engine is a fair bit extra pricewise.
it will be used as a shopping trolley with a max of 2 passengers.
has anyone driven both, is the 85 going to be as gutless as i imagine ?
cheers in advance peeps

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

gremlin1234

posted on 4/3/18 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
a 70/85ps would be fine as a shopping car, but its not an ecoboost, - it doesn't have the turbo
morcus

posted on 4/3/18 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
I haven't driven either car, though I saw them at the dealership while I was buying bits for my car and I really like the look and sound of a 3 dr ST line with the 125hp version.

Best to test them but in a car that size 85hp should be fine.

How are they planning to buy it? You might find credit is cheaper on the more powerful car especially if you go down the PCP route with a low mileage on the plan.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

theconrodkid

posted on 4/3/18 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
ok thanks, i just assumed they were all turbo 3 pots, ill tell her to have a drive of them all

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Dingz

posted on 4/3/18 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Mk 1 Cortina GT had 75 Hp. bit lighter though I expect.

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

cliftyhanger

posted on 5/3/18 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
There seems to be a real obsession with power. For most cars it is irrelevent. On the motorway I think 30hp is all that is needed at 70ish.
We run a Pug107, 70bhp?? goes really well, uncomplicated little car. I suspect the non-turbo fiesta is similar.
Power often has little to do with how a car drives around town, more important is how the power used. ie gearing and torque curve.

The honest john car reviews are pretty good.

40inches

posted on 5/3/18 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
There seems to be a real obsession with power. For most cars it is irrelevent. On the motorway I think 30hp is all that is needed at 70ish.
We run a Pug107, 70bhp?? goes really well, uncomplicated little car. I suspect the non-turbo fiesta is similar.
Power often has little to do with how a car drives around town, more important is how the power used. ie gearing and torque curve.

The honest john car reviews are pretty good.

The wife has a '08 Jazz auto with 80bhp, cruises at 80mph with 4 people and luggage, returning 50mpg

MikeRJ

posted on 5/3/18 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger

Until you need to join a fast moving motorway on an uphill slip road, then you realise that having a decent bit of power in reserve is very handy. Or you are stuck behind someone bumbling along slowly on a B road and you need a decent bit of power to get past safely.

85bhp is not too bad from a normally aspirated 1.1L car engine, but it will be making a fraction of the midrange torque of the turbocharged versions. Great if you enjoy a revvy little engine (I do) but most seem to prefer diesel-like power delivery.

[Edited on 5/3/18 by MikeRJ]

ttalps2000

posted on 5/3/18 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
my daily driver is a 75hp 1.6 diesel fabia. Sits on the motorway all the time at 80mph with no problem and still has over taking power etc. Bit sluggish getting up to speed at times, but you allow for it after a while!
nick205

posted on 5/3/18 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
I'd have thought 85 bhp for a two people shopping car of that size should be fine. Enjoy the lower fuel and insurance costs that go with it. If there's some money left over keep it in the bank or go on weekend away.
tims31

posted on 5/3/18 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
The wife has a 1.0 Ecoboost which is the 125ps version and its a great little car with plenty of go, she drove this and the 100ps version and this one is much better.

Build: http://www.martinsfurybuild.co.uk/

ReMan

posted on 5/3/18 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
we got the 100hp ecoboost
did back to back test drive with the old 1.6 engine and it was streaks ahead. torque is good compared to the nwew 1.1na engine
But dont believe the MPG quoted on any of them

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 5/3/18 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
I would get a 100bhp or 125bhp eco boost a bit extra is better if you go up hill with 4 people in the car
Tonesta

posted on 6/3/18 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
Ecoboost

Hi I have a Zetec s 140bhp ecoboost cracking little car my wife had the 125bhp and there is a noticble difference between the engine power and torque when driving but I haven’t driven the lowest power unit however I would recommend driving the different power versions only because of the difference I found .
SJ

posted on 6/3/18 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
Our Suzuki Swift [1.2 16v na] has about 90bhp which is more than enough given the weight. It accelerates quickly enough and will happily sit at 80 on the motorway.

I didn't want a turbo as they aren't at all suited to the very small local mileage my wife does.

Mr Whippy

posted on 6/3/18 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
it's when your overtaking and there's a truck coming that you realise that titchy engine wasn't so great a deal....
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SJ

posted on 6/3/18 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

it's when your overtaking and there's a truck coming that you realise that titchy engine wasn't so great a deal....

No, that's when you realise you are a terrible driver.

Mr Whippy

posted on 7/3/18 at 06:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SJ
quote:

No, that's when you realise you are a terrible driver.

or the terrible driver is the d*ck you trying to overtake who decides to speed up...(common with drivers of larger cars when they see a small one trying to overtake them)

nothing wrong with having some power in reserve to get out of trouble, might just save your life one day

< look what I drive normally, it has all the over taking potential of a push bike but I also drive a 185bhp Volvo and I know what I feel safer in getting past a truck

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.