Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Taxing Without MOT
mistergrumpy

posted on 11/4/18 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
Taxing Without MOT

So I've booked the Locost in for its first ever MOT on Tuesday. The first since registering it in 2009. The Gov.UK website regarding MOT's says no information held. I went to the same site to tax it and put in all my details to find out how much it'd be and it didn't seem to contest anything so I went further and it accepted my payment despite saying it would check the MOT status. Any idea about what's happened here? Have I secretly got one over on the DVLA (I'll still be getting the MOT anyway because it's the right thing to do)
ianhurley20

posted on 11/4/18 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
When they check the mot status they will cancel the tax if they find no current MOT - doesn't happen often but has done a couple of times to my knowledge

mistergrumpy

posted on 11/4/18 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
At a cost to me?
nick205

posted on 11/4/18 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
Interested myself as I have a car without MoT or tax. Can't drive on the road myself at the moment, but a neighbour with a garage can MoT it for me - I'd rather it was taxed before asking him to drive it on the road though!
cliftyhanger

posted on 11/4/18 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
If he has a garage he may well have trade plates? Problem solved!
CosKev3

posted on 11/4/18 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Interested myself as I have a car without MoT or tax. Can't drive on the road myself at the moment, but a neighbour with a garage can MoT it for me - I'd rather it was taxed before asking him to drive it on the road though!

You are legally allowed to drive to a pre-booked MOT without tax,so no need to tax it before!

ianhurley20

posted on 11/4/18 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

If its going to or from a pre arranged mot then you don't need tax

JeffHs

posted on 12/4/18 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

If its going to or from a pre arranged mot then you don't need tax

But you do need insurance. I've just been quoted £19 for 1 day cover to MoT my old 2CV special.

nick205

posted on 13/4/18 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the feeback chaps. He does have trade plates and paying £20 for a days insurance is not a problem. I suspect he has a motor traders insurance policy covering it anyway - I'll check with him first.
mistergrumpy

posted on 13/4/18 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
As feedback, I Facebooked the DVLA ( I thought it would be quicker than ringing them. It wasn't) Their reply was that my car didn't need taxing if it was less than 3 years old, which I already knew and told them and that if I attempted to tax online without a valid MOT on a vehicle with no MOT then I wouldn't be able to as their system would reject my application. I replied with words to the effect of "wanna bet".

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.