Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rear suspension setup sierra Diff and drive shaft alignment
will121

posted on 21/5/18 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
Rear suspension setup sierra Diff and drive shaft alignment

Started dry fitting rear end and the Diff drive shaft outlet flange centre line is about 35mm in front Of The hubs, I would though they would been in line so only take movement up and down, before I cut out and remake the diff mounts is this correct for some reason.
Hopefully the photo explains what I mean.
Also if I move the diff back can I cut out the top Of The rear mount or it it hollow?

[Edited on 21/5/18 by will121]

Angel Acevedo

posted on 22/5/18 at 03:59 AM Reply With Quote
I don´t see that being a problem.
How is the vertical alignment?
Spot On? If so, the horizontal misalignment may provide small travel to keep the CV joints lubricated.
As long as total suspension travel does not go beyond what the CV joint is designed to take.
HTH.

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
motivforz

posted on 22/5/18 at 07:19 AM Reply With Quote
I'm afraid I can't answer about the angle of the shafts.

Don't cut the lugs off the diff cover. There's a hollow bit of casting behind so you'll need to weld it back up if you do.

There's a caterham alternative cover without the rear mount which would do the job.

Theshed

posted on 22/5/18 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
I would leave it. Many CV joints are run permanently out of line and they are rarely in line when the wheels move up and down. Extreme angles are to be avoided although look at some off road buggies...

When are you going to get that chassis sand blasted?

will121

posted on 22/5/18 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Theshed
I would leave it. Many CV joints are run permanently out of line and they are rarely in line when the wheels move up and down. Extreme angles are to be avoided although look at some off road buggies...

When are you going to get that chassis sand blasted?

ive brought it as a part finished project that's been under a tarp for some time, I have someone that will blast and prime it, but really need to dry fit every thing first and modify, weld in new brackets etc.

im sure if will look better soon

jacko

posted on 22/5/18 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
On the rear do the bolts bottom out if they do you could cut the lug off by this amount
im sure iv seen them cut of before
jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mcerd1

posted on 22/5/18 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
its common to cut the rear lug on Dax rush's - but normally they only take 17mm off (and even then that sometimes makes a hole that'll need welded up - the sierra diff's can have a bit of variation)

-

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.