Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Making New Winscreen
myke pocock

posted on 21/7/18 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
Making New Winscreen

At present I have a screen that I bought in component form and made up that was for a Robin Hood. The sides slope too much to fit side screens so i need to make up another. Where can I source the correct alloy extrusion in straight lengths to make my own. Also does anyone have any experience of making bends in U shaped alloy that is detailed in The Book. Does it work!?
ianhurley20

posted on 21/7/18 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Myke - it does work exactly as the book describes - you need to anneal the aluminium before bending and it only lasts a short time after - no use doing it the day after. How to anneal? Rub soap over the aluminium and heat with a blowtorch - or in my case the gas burners on the hob (wife out at the time) until it goes brown. Allow to cool then bend as per book. Materials can be bought from GBS / Kitspares, they seem to be used to requests for metal. Glass from a local glazier - take a card pattern or the frame and they will cut the glass to size. Simples!
I have done as above then took all the wing mirrors dash and aero screen off mine - then changed my mind and put it all back. Maybe winter will see it fitted

Mash

posted on 22/7/18 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
I have an MK Indy screen with alloy uprights I made myself (copied the MK metal ones), and no longer need. Laminated, and in reasonable nick.

25 shekels to you sir The uprights are drilled for MK side screens, but you should be able to do something with it.

You're a long way from me, but my lad will be driving back to Edinburgh in bout 23 weeks, so maybe we could sort something if you're interested.......

ETA, just checked and it's tempered, pictures in my archive

[Edited on 22/7/18 by Mash]

posted on 22/7/18 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by myke pocock
At present I have a screen that I bought in component form and made up that was for a Robin Hood. The sides slope too much to fit side screens so i need to make up another. Where can I source the correct alloy extrusion in straight lengths to make my own. Also does anyone have any experience of making bends in U shaped alloy that is detailed in The Book. Does it work!?

I picked up the extrusions from Robin Hood (they wouldn't post straight lengths) and made metal formers. (see pics)

Once the frame was made I made a hardboard template and had the glass cut from proper windscreen spec stuff with the
relevant marks in it. You can tell by the marks where the glass was made and it turns out it was China. Can't we make anything?

Paul G

Rescued attachment WS-jigs-s.jpg
Rescued attachment WS-jigs-s.jpg

Rescued attachment windscreen-blank-s.jpg
Rescued attachment windscreen-blank-s.jpg

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.