Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Running a remote oil filter and cooler query
will121

posted on 24/7/18 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
Running a remote oil filter and cooler query

Due to clearance issues I need to fit a remote oil filter, is there any impact on engine oil flow or pressure on running a remote filter, thermostat and an oil cooler as setup in photo? Oil pipes to the oil cooler will be shorter on install.
Thanks

[Edited on 24/7/18 by will121]

gremlin1234

posted on 24/7/18 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
there is a school of thought, that says having a thermostat in the oil cooler, will dump cold oil into the engine just as it gets hot. which may not be a good thing
bi22le

posted on 24/7/18 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
I'm confused with this picture. You have ( from left to right) a oil take off plate, a oil distribution block, a thermostat and the rad.

Why the distribution block? Or is it not that!

For info, I have a combined thermostatic and oil take off plate that runs straight to my rad. I saw no drop in pressure and had run fine when being spanked.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

gremlin1234

posted on 24/7/18 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le

I think it for a remote filter

will121

posted on 24/7/18 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
I'm confused with this picture. You have ( from left to right) a oil take off plate, a oil distribution block, a thermostat and the rad.

For info, I have a combined thermostatic and oil take off plate that runs straight to my rad. I saw no drop in pressure and had run fine when being spanked.

It is a remote filter head just assembled without the filter.
Had the sandwich plate thermostat and oil cooler previously installed with no problem, but in the new install I can't fit the oil filter as it hits a chassis rail, hence addition Of The remote filter.
Thanks all

nick205

posted on 25/7/18 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
My Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI has a factory fitted oil cooler, but the oil filter itself is mounted directly on the engine block. Whilst I've never tracked the car there've never been any issues with it on the road in relation to oil temperature or pressure.

One factor I think many people don't allow for is the amount of engine running time it takes for the engine oil to warm up. The 205 has engine oil temperature and pressure gauges so the driver can actually see this process.

To qualify the above I've also had cars, including 2x 205 1.6 GTIs, without oil coolers. The 1.6 GTIs also took a fair time for the engine oil temperature to rise and settle.

[Edited on 25/7/18 by nick205]

[Edited on 25/7/18 by nick205]

coyoteboy

posted on 27/7/18 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
there is a school of thought, that says having a thermostat in the oil cooler, will dump cold oil into the engine just as it gets hot. which may not be a good thing

Thermostats aren't binary though?

CosKev3

posted on 28/7/18 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234

That's rubbish,the thermostat in oil systems is never fully closed.
There is always a percentage of oil flowing around the system all the time.
The stat opens fully at the temp stated on it.
If the stat closed fully and opened up at high RPM you would probably kill the engine due to the drop in oil pressure!

rodgling

posted on 28/7/18 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
I have a thermostat and cooler on my car (the stat is attached to the block rather than remote but don't see why the exact location of the stat would make too much difference). It makes about 20 psi per 1k rpm when hot no problems (up to ~60 psi where the pressure relief valve kicks in).

The only thing I noticed was when I first filled the system, when it got hot enough to open the stat, I saw a momentary pressure drop as some air came out of the oil cooler, so make sure you warm it up on the drive the first time.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.