Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MT75 - Difficulty engaging first
briarswood57

posted on 31/7/18 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
MT75 - Difficulty engaging first

Any gearbox experts out there that could point me in the right direction. I have a Westfield SE with a crossflow and MT75. Until I
Bought it it was last taxed and MOTD in 2000. Now it's up and running I am having difficulty engaging First. Typically I need to
Find second then put it into First. All the other gears seem fine and easily selectable. Just First and second that are difficult.

Any ideas how to resolve? All suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers. Andrew

rusty nuts

posted on 31/7/18 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
What about reverse gear? If reverse is grating it could be the clutch isn't clearing or as was the case with my car a couple of weeks ago the spigot bearing siezed to the first motion shaft of the gearbox. If it is the spigot bearing it's a fiver plus VAT from Burtonpower. might be worth checking the clutch adjustment?
rusty nuts

posted on 31/7/18 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
What about reverse gear? If reverse is grating it could be the clutch isn't clearing or as was the case with my car a couple of weeks ago the spigot bearing siezed to the first motion shaft of the gearbox. If it is the spigot bearing it's a fiver plus VAT from Burtonpower. might be worth checking the clutch adjustment?
briarswood57

posted on 31/7/18 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
Reverse seems OK. Also it doesn't matter whether the engine is running or not. It's only First and second which are problematic.

Could it be an adjustment issue?

rusty nuts

posted on 1/8/18 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
It could be a problem with the box but I think it would be a good idea to eliminate the clutch and the spigot bearing . With my car I had little warning of a problem just difficulty getting into reverse at a show, on getting home I drove into my garage and found the clutch wouldn't disengage.
rusty nuts

posted on 1/8/18 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
Have you checked the oil is the correct type and level?
briarswood57

posted on 1/8/18 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the replies. I'll give the oil a refresh and the weekend and check the clutch / spigot bearing etc. Hopefully that will sort it out.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.