Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Differential with integrated tripodes
Sam_68

posted on 16/10/18 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
Differential with integrated tripodes

Bit of a longshot, but I'm looking for a differential where the driveshaft tripodes are housed directly in the 'core' of the diff, rather than having separate, bolt-on CV joints.

The only one I know of is the gearbox used on the Fiat 128 and the early (1300cc, 4-speed) Fiat X1/9, both of which are now getting difficult to find.

Does anyone know of any more modern, more readily available gearboxes that use this arrangement?

This is the Fiat gearbox, to illustrate what I'm talking about:

nick205

posted on 16/10/18 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
Curious - what's your project?

Surely it makes replacement of the tripode/drive shaft harder if the tripode itself is buried within the differential?

Sam_68

posted on 16/10/18 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
It's for use on a chain drive diff, on a mid-engined BEC.

But no, it doesn't make changing the driveshaft end of the tripode much more difficult. In the case of the Fiat 128/X1/9, you remove three bolts that secure the oil seal boot flanges to the diff, then withdraw the driveshaft and tripode from the diff, simple as that.

The tripode bearing itself is then secured to the splined end of the driveshaft using a circlip.

Where it becomes more complex and costly is where the tripode housing (which as you can see on the above diagram, is machined into the side gear of the differential itself) is badly worn, but that's relatively rare, and a price I'm willing to pay for the lighter and more compact arrangement.

And of course it's much less of an issue in a chain drive installation anyway, as if such wear ever occurs, it's very simple to replace the whole diff. 'core' ...provided it's one that's readily available, for a reasonable price, hence my question!

nick205

posted on 16/10/18 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
Fair do's - now have a better understanding of your project and the transmission assembly.
russbost

posted on 17/10/18 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
Sam, tho' I'm a little out of touch with the latest transmissions I doubt you are going to find what you want. There were quite a no. of the Fiat (& derivatives probably) that used that type of setup, but all way out of date & therefore common use, now. I have a feeling that possibly VW Beetle was similar, but certainly can't think of anything modern that uses that type of setup.

Depending on power requirements just possible there might be something on the quad market that's similar, but not a lot of quad stuff tends to be cheap & readily available

Why do you particularly want that type of setup, is there a lack of space to the sides of the diff?

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Sam_68

posted on 17/10/18 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
Out-of-date is fine, so long as it's still fairly readily available - so something like a Beetle (or a more modern Fiat) might be fine.

The Beetle was either swing axle (so fixed length driveshafts with no plunge) or conventional CV joints on the later versions, I think, though.

'Other Fiats' is a good lead, though... I don't know why I didn't check earlier, but a casual Google suggests that the first generation Panda, 1990's Cinquecento, Seicento and some Puntos and Unos might have used the same arrangement. Certainly more available than a 1300 X1/9!

It's weight, rather than space, that is the concern. I'm chasing the last few grams, so wantonly bolting a couple of kilo's worth of separate CV joints either side of the diff is not something I want to do if I can avoid it.

Edited to add: Bah, no... further Googling suggests that the Seicento diff is not nearly as compact in arrangement:

[Edited on 17/10/18 by Sam_68]

russbost

posted on 17/10/18 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
If it's weight you're chasing is the classic Mini diff still readily available? that had the Hardy Spicer inner joints (which you could get a bearing type replacement for that was much more durable) which would be substantially lighter than C/v's

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Sam_68

posted on 17/10/18 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
The Mini diff isn't a bad shout in terms of size and weight.

For reasons I won't bore you with, I don't think it will package quite as well as something with integral tripodes for the specific design I have in mind, but certainly still worth considering. Good idea - thanks!

obfripper

posted on 17/10/18 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look at this, it may be what you are after and new.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/312049556509

The seller appears to he the manufacturer, so might be able to do a sealed version to suit your application.

Dave

Sam_68

posted on 17/10/18 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by obfripper
Have a look at this, it may be what you are after and new.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/312049556509

The seller appears to he the manufacturer, so might be able to do a sealed version to suit your application.

Yeah, I'd found that myself, thanks - price (£847 inc. postage, and soon import duty from Europe too!) is way more than I'd be happy to pay, particularly since I don't need an LSD, and I'd still need to source the driveshafts to go with it.

I've just paid less than half that for the engine/gearbox and all ancillaries for the project!

This is Locostbuilders, remember - if I can find something suitable, I'm thinking in terms of £70 for a full gearbox, strip out the diff. and spend the £777 I've saved vs. the above price on coke and hookers.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.