Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OBP leak/problem
steve m

posted on 11/11/18 at 12:59 AM Reply With Quote
OBP leak/problem

Hi all

Ive got an OBP brake pedal box, and I have a leak!

To start with, the leak, was a drip every few weeks from the front master cylinder, and annoying, but nothing more

So I took the resovoir off, and seals , cleaned it up, ( wasn't dirty) and put back on

Leaks worse now!!

order new resovoir kit, put on, leaks the same, badly,

so, have I got a bad master cylinder ?

Im only asking, as this is really doing my head in, as its so simple, but also so taxing

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

rusty nuts

posted on 11/11/18 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
Which type of master cylinder and where exactly is the leak coming from?
steve m

posted on 11/11/18 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
Its one of these, with the separate resovoir

https://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=AwrJS9eke.hbgGYAAM1LBQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTE0amQwOTZkBGNvbG8DaXIyBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjYxNjhfMQRzZWMDcGl2cw --?p=obp+cylinder&fr2=piv-web&fr=yfp-t#id=0&iurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.burtonpower.com%2Fmedia%2Fcatalog%2Fproduct%2Fcache%2F1%2Fimage%2Fdbee39 002c3ed3c5438224ee0989910f%2FO%2FB%2FOBPCB001.jpg&action=click

Today, ive taken the resovoir off, dismantled again, cleaned, and put together, made a blanking plug for the bottom, and filled up with brake fluid, and so far no leaks,

Next day off, I will put it all back together on the car, and if it still leaks, it has to be the master cylinder

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Tonesta

posted on 11/11/18 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
I had the same happen to my obp pedal box rear master cylinder however I replaced the master cylinder and never resealed the old unit.
New unit has been fine no leaks

steve m

posted on 11/11/18 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
Thnks, at least is shows im not mad !!

steve

rusty nuts

posted on 12/11/18 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
Can't get the link to work. Do you have a remote or cylinder mounted reservoir? How is the reservoir connected to the MC? Do you have the correct fittings? Is the leak from a high or low pressure part of the system ?
Mr Whippy

posted on 12/11/18 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
In the old days I'd have just changed the seals but these days, brakes...new cylinder too safety critical to skimp on
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
16v205

posted on 13/11/18 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
I had a similar issue but to be fair OBP resolved it quickly so full marks for their after sales service.

I have the remote reservoirs mounted higher up than the pedal box using the flexi hose extensions, bought and fitted in April this year and they were leaking by May.

Mine started to leak soon after having brake fluid in them, only a odd drip at first but got worse. Thought it was the flexis not sealing on the threads etc but it wasn't.
My fault was the actual reservoirs were leaking between the white plastic body and the metal insert. There's a rubber washer inside the body used to seal it up. They swapped out the reservoirs complete for me rather than try fix the faulty ones.

If your reservoirs are mounted on the master cylinder its worth taking a quick look as I dismissed the reservoirs straight off, I couldn't see any fluid on them and the puddle was collecting at the master cylinder.

[Edited on 13/11/18 by 16v205]

16v205

posted on 13/11/18 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
Forgot to add,

As bad as it sounds I used small bits of toilet tissue randomly wrapped around different parts of the brake system to see where the fluid would start wicking up from. That's the way I found it but it took a few days, there was just no visible sign of a leak apart from a small puddle.

Rich

[Edited on 13/11/18 by 16v205]

steve m

posted on 13/11/18 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
Rich,

That is exactly the problem ive got, the leak originally was a drip, and possibly only one drip in weeks, but certainly required attention, only for me to make the drip worse

Ive now got to the point were the reservoir and the adapter to master cylinder do not leak (hooray) and soon I will remove the master cylinder from the car, reinstall the reservoir and check it all again

I feel im half way there to stop the leak, and if it does leak when fitted to the master cylinder, then that HAS to be the faulty item

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.