Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ABS issue
JC

posted on 26/12/18 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
ABS issue

Hi all, and hope you all had a great Christmas!

Daughters 2005 Yaris has an ABS issue. Just as the car comes to a halt, the ABS activates. It seems to only happen if you are stopping gently, like you would in traffic or at a junction.

I replaced the front 2 sensors as they were easy to do - no change!

I replaced one of the rear sensors - they come as part of a complete hub and the wheel bearing was noisy so it needed doing anyway! Still no change. This job as an absolute bar steward to do as the old hub was well and truly attached!

I can replace the final rear hub in a few days - don’t really want to as it was such a PITAS on the other side.

Any suggestions as to what the fault might be, other than sensors?

Thanks

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nero1701

posted on 26/12/18 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
Possibly the abs system wasn't bled when brake fluid was changed?

Have you plugged it into a diagnostic computer?

obfripper

posted on 26/12/18 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
Check the front reluctor rings for corrosion/damage, if there is a tooth damaged or an incorrect gap you will get erroneous activation due to the signal change.
If the signal effect is only minor it will not trigger a fault code.

Dave

JC

posted on 26/12/18 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks - I’ll take a look at the rings.

It’s not been plugged into a diagnostic computer - I just checked using an OBD reader and there are no latched faults. Brakes not been bled for ages....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mcerd1

posted on 26/12/18 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JC
I just checked using an OBD reader and there are no latched faults

what kind of OBD reader ?

most of of the cheaper ones can't read ABS faults

-

Slimy38

posted on 26/12/18 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
Are you sure it's the ABS? I didn't think ABS actually did anything at low speeds, below 15mph or so. Is it the light flashing or do you have the horrible groan/vibration of the ABS pulses? Could it be the pads vibrating in the calipers rather than full blown ABS kicking in?
NigeEss

posted on 26/12/18 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
I'd also vote for a broken reluctor ring.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

JC

posted on 26/12/18 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
Definitely ABS - you can feel it through the pedal and hear it working...
ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 26/12/18 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
I second the above post cracked abs ring would be easy to see if a diagnosic machine was plugged in and easy to spot on the front ones

[Edited on 26/12/18 by ian locostzx9rc2]

adithorp

posted on 26/12/18 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by obfripper
Check the front reluctor rings for corrosion/damage, if there is a tooth damaged or an incorrect gap you will get erroneous activation due to the signal change.
If the signal effect is only minor it will not trigger a fault code.

Dave

+1 or a split rrluctor ring that can spin on the CV joint.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

rusty nuts

posted on 27/12/18 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
Have you checked the brakes themselves? A stick calliper/pad can cause enough of a brake imbalance to activate the ABS . Might be worth stripping the front brakes to check and clean , make sure everything is working as it should. A split or broken reluctor ring is more likely to show up a permanent fault with the warning light .
JC

posted on 27/12/18 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, checked the reluctor rings - the odd slight bit of corrosion but didn’t appear broken. Both sensors had flakes of rusty metal on the tips though, and the teeth on one of the rings were shiny and looked like they might be catching somewhere.

The sands of time have run out for me tho - back to work for a couple of weeks so it’ll have to go to the local non-franchise Toyota man to see how much he wants to charge me to fix it

Thanks for all the help. I’ll post the answer when I know it

obfripper

posted on 27/12/18 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JC
Ok, checked the reluctor rings - the odd slight bit of corrosion but didn’t appear broken. Both sensors had flakes of rusty metal on the tips though, and the teeth on one of the rings were shiny and looked like they might be catching somewhere.

The sands of time have run out for me tho - back to work for a couple of weeks so it’ll have to go to the local non-franchise Toyota man to see how much he wants to charge me to fix it

Thanks for all the help. I’ll post the answer when I know it

If you look under the shiny teeth you will find corrosion between the ring and cv joint casing that has pushed the ring out of round, the ring is hitting the abs sensor causing the shiny teeth and the erratic signal.
The ring is likely to be permanently damaged, but there are some replacement rings available on ebay which saves replacing the complete cv joint - you will need to know the joint diameter and number of teeth to match up a replacement.

Dave

JC

posted on 3/1/19 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
Fixed!!!!

The hub was corroded where the ABS sensor slots in, which was stopping it reading correctly! Lots of rust cleaned back so that the sensor sits flush and square and job done!! Hurray!

Thanks everyone!

britishtrident

posted on 3/1/19 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
You got of lightly playing ABS parts roulette can be very expensive same goes for air bag faults.
These days it really pays to get a scantool that will work in manufacturer mode and at read and clear faults beyon the ken of basic OBD2.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Autel-MD802-DS-Model-OBD2-Car-Code-Scanner-Airbag-ABS-EPB-Oil-Reset-EU-Version/232874139798?hash=item3638616096:g:QPYAAOSwW B5b5qd1:rk:43:pf:0

[Edited on 3/1/19 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.