Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Green taxes
Shooter63

posted on 11/1/19 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Green taxes

This gives me the right hump, green taxes, why the f$$k does this poxy government ( but especially f$$king Labour) try and kid us that they are taxing us to save the planet , it's just total boll##ks, if they don't want us to do something just ban it. The latest tax to drive into London is a joke, some of the adds that have been running on radio are total propaganda only second to the sh#t being pumped out by the government about a no deal brexit.

Shooter

daviep

posted on 11/1/19 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
There's always Lib Dems or SNP?

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

jeffw

posted on 12/1/19 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure voting for the SNP will get you very far in London, especially as the party eats its own while in Government. I'm sure Alex was well pleased to be pursued by his own party.
rf900rush

posted on 12/1/19 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
I spotted a cool 125 bike in a local petrol station. I was told It was a Honda Grom. looked up it's spec., claimed 152mpg.
But still pays £19 road TAX. It's not that I mind contributing to the roads I use. But why the f_ck to some, much less efficient don't.

If our governments really wanted to be greener, they would use all the poo they talk as fuel

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SJ

posted on 12/1/19 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I spotted a cool 125 bike in a local petrol station. I was told It was a Honda Grom. looked up it's spec., claimed 152mpg. But still pays £19 road TAX. It's not that I mind contributing to the roads I use. But why the f_ck to some, much less efficient don't. If our governments really wanted to be greener, they would use all the poo they talk as fuel

Be reasonable - Somebody's got to pay for the politicians and celebs to fly 1st class to climate change conferences!

coyoteboy

posted on 13/1/19 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
I've literally no context for reply.

So instead, I thought I'd put a llama in the thread for you.

Unfortunately the image upload is broken, so I can't - my sincere apologies.

David Jenkins

posted on 13/1/19 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
The obvious answer is to scrap the road tax and put it directly on the fuel - the lower your efficiency and/or the more you drive, the more you pay. Mind you, I have an electric car...

But as sensible as this may sound - you're allowed to disagree! - politically it would be the kiss of death for any government who introduces it, so it'll probably never happen. Our fuel tax is ludicrously high already.

JoelP

posted on 13/1/19 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
Its a pretty basic function of government to tax undesirable behaviour, and subsidise more desirable activities. Since climate change clearly wont solve itself, intervention is required.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Nile_rt

posted on 13/1/19 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
Its a pretty basic function of government to tax undesirable behaviour, and subsidise more desirable activities. Since climate change clearly wont solve itself, intervention is required.

Exactly this

SJ

posted on 13/1/19 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Joel P and Nile_RT

10/10 for political theory , 0/10 for cynical mistrust of politicians.

02GF74

posted on 13/1/19 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
I've literally no context for reply.

So instead, I thought I'd put a llama in the thread for you.

Unfortunately the image upload is broken, so I can't - my sincere apologies.

Being a car themed forum, I'm sure you meant this llama.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_Rover_Llama

coyoteboy

posted on 13/1/19 at 11:46 PM Reply With Quote
Good find sir!

David Jenkins

posted on 14/1/19 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SJ
Joel P and Nile_RT

10/10 for political theory , 0/10 for cynical mistrust of politicians.

You can add me to the "cynical mistrust of politicians" list...

Mr Whippy

posted on 14/1/19 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
tbh I'll be very glad to see the back of these horrid smokey diesels, the worst ones always seem to have a driver who floors it all the time too
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 14/1/19 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
^^^ oooh the irony from an ex-bus driver.

below is taken from BBC website. Buses alone contribute nearly half the amount for diesel cars and I don't know where you live, but round here I would guess there are about 100 times more cars than buses so why aren't buses taxed to oblivion? It seems it is no so much about pollution but losing votes.

These taxes are targeted at a captive audience, first incentivise car buyers to buy diesel cars and then tax them! Smart! I doubt there will be many who will give up the door to door comfort of a car where they can set the heating and music their liking for sitting next to some fat smelly sneezing stranger on a bus and probably have to pay twice or more for the privilege.

If memory serves me well, a few years back it was considered green to use wood for heating the house, now that we all have bought a wood burning stove, the wheels of government have started turn to ban them, no doubt fines and taxes will be put in place.

Slimy38

posted on 15/1/19 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
The obvious answer is to scrap the road tax and put it directly on the fuel - the lower your efficiency and/or the more you drive, the more you pay. Mind you, I have an electric car...

I seem to remember they're already having a think about how to apply tax to electric vehicles, one suggestion was to add it to the metering process for public charging points.

If they are successful in getting rid of most combustion engines in the next twenty years then they'll need to find some other way of lining their pockets.

Mr Whippy

posted on 15/1/19 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah well indeed some of the older busses I drove were very smokey but not much I could have done about it. Most modern busses are not as there are soot filters in the exhaust. The average bus produces an overall much lower amount of pollution than the cumulative effects of all the cars they replace. Even the bendy busses managed 6 mpg which given type of driving and a capacity of around 150 (equivalent to 30 full 5 seater cars) you can see they still can make a huge saving on fuel used & emissions. And yes on the routes they were on they were mostly full, sometimes over capacity.

I too use a large wood burning stove, overall it is carbon neutral and produces a very small amount of smoke, sometimes none, however this goes straight out to sea so has no impact on the folk around me. I think people get confused between coal and wood being burnt, coal can be very smokey, especially cheap coal. Wood burns so hot it produces almost no smoke and is quite clean to use. Our stove is next to the washing machine and tumble drier and doesn't effect the clothes at all. I doubt I will be effected by any taxes as I am not in the city.

quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
^^^ oooh the irony from an ex-bus driver.

below is taken from BBC website. Buses alone contribute nearly half the amount for diesel cars and I don't know where you live, but round here I would guess there are about 100 times more cars than buses so why aren't buses taxed to oblivion? It seems it is no so much about pollution but losing votes.

These taxes are targeted at a captive audience, first incentivise car buyers to buy diesel cars and then tax them! Smart! I doubt there will be many who will give up the door to door comfort of a car where they can set the heating and music their liking for sitting next to some fat smelly sneezing stranger on a bus and probably have to pay twice or more for the privilege.

If memory serves me well, a few years back it was considered green to use wood for heating the house, now that we all have bought a wood burning stove, the wheels of government have started turn to ban them, no doubt fines and taxes will be put in place.

JoelP

posted on 16/1/19 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
The future will include electric buses with capacitors rather than batteries. These can be charged much faster, but self discharge in a few days so no good for cars. Buses should be massively subsidised, to keep as many cars off the road as possible. All these things can be solved if there is the will.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

David Jenkins

posted on 16/1/19 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38

I seem to remember they're already having a think about how to apply tax to electric vehicles, one suggestion was to add it to the metering process for public charging points.

I shouldn't be at all surprised. Comparatively speaking, there aren't many electric cars on the road but the number is increasing rapidly. At the moment they're trying to make them attractive to meet the 'green agenda' but I'm sure there'll come a time when the money-grabbing bar-stewards will want their pound of flesh. Don't forget that we already pay VAT on the energy, although the home rate is much lower than is on public chargers. They've already scrapped the zero-rate road tax on electric cars, and now their owners have to pay the same rate as the higher-efficiency internal combustion cars - still low, but I'm sure they'll find some excuse to make it higher.

David Jenkins

posted on 16/1/19 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
They've already scrapped the zero-rate road tax on electric cars, and now their owners have to pay the same rate as the higher-efficiency internal combustion cars - still low, but I'm sure they'll find some excuse to make it higher.

On reflection, I might be wrong about that... I'm not sure as I haven't paid my first renewal yet- it's not due until the end of March. Watch this space...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.