Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Budget tow car inspiration.
loggyboy

posted on 15/3/19 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
Budget tow car inspiration.

After a cheap tow car/van. Around about 1800kg tow capacity. Ideally £1-2k. What random cars might i be forgetting?
mark chandler

posted on 15/3/19 at 11:52 PM Reply With Quote
D5 V70 Volvo

Mine shrugged off having as trailer stuck behind it.

Simon

posted on 16/3/19 at 12:02 AM Reply With Quote
Now on my third Espace (needed something bigger than the Pug 308!) - dealers asking stupid money so go privately and use the spare cash for maintenance (not that any of mine have ever needed anything out of the ordinary). Used to tow our 26' long 6 berth 'van with no hassle.
steve m

posted on 16/3/19 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
Mondeo 2.0 Tdci, mines a mk4, but the mk3 is equally a good tow car, plus I still average 44-47 mpg towing a 6 metre Avondale caravan

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Fandango

posted on 16/3/19 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
Honda Accord Tourer.

Around £1000 should buy you a good c2007 one.

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S Thompson

big_wasa

posted on 16/3/19 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
I have been looking for somthing along the same lines since before Xmas so I can tow the 7 to a track and the tip run ect.

You would be amazed how few large family cars are for sale privately.

Hyundai Santa Fe looks a reasonable bet, Saab 9-5 estate would also be on my list if I could find one with in 50 miles and sub 100k on the clock.

rusty nuts

posted on 16/3/19 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
The best tow car I ever had was a £350 Citroen 2.1 TD estate , maybe not the most powerful but brilliant suspension with a high nose weight.
big_wasa

posted on 16/3/19 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
Now there was a C5 estate local-ish a few weeks back but the hydro suspension put me off. They don’t have a huge legal towing capacity either. Plenty for a 7 but not enough to cover the trailer plated weight my local hire place has.
PAUL FISHER

posted on 16/3/19 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
Rover 75 estate auto, BMW 2.0 d engine etc

[Edited on 16/3/19 by PAUL FISHER]

pewe

posted on 17/3/19 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
SAAB 9-5 diesel (if you must) cheap as chips for a lot of quality plus if you go talk to Dan or Alan @ DCA in Upper Beenham they'll point you in the right direction.
Ours towed caravans, trailers etc. no problem even though an auto plus the Estate swallowed sets of tyres, tools and associated clobber for Solos.
Only sold it after 16 years ownership because the bucket list dictated a V8 - now have a 550i Beeemer M-Sport Touring - that's a tow car!!
HTH.
Cheers, Pewe.

owelly

posted on 18/3/19 at 04:19 AM Reply With Quote
My father in law is selling a Kia Sorento. 56 plate diesel, with just over 100,000 miles on the clock. He's spent a fortune on it over the past few years! It's had a new clutch/flywheel, gearbox, transfer box and due to lack of use, two sets of discs and pads in the last two years! And that's why he's selling it... Because he rarely uses it, every time he goes to drive it, the brakes are sticking. It'll be going in for MOT soon so he's expecting to spend another pile of cash on brakes..... I've told him that I'll use it for a few days to clean up the brakes but he's decided to sell it as soon as it's got 12 months ticket on it.
It's got full leather and has had an easy life. It's in good nick and not your usual 4x4 that's been dragging a hossbox about, or been full of sheep...
To be honest, he didn't want a diesel. He didn't want a 4x4. He didn't want a Kia. He wanted his old Audi A6.....
Similar cars are selling for £1100 to £1800. Rough ones are £600-£800.
If anyone wants pictures and more info, drop me a message.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 25/4/19 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
I ended up with a Kia Sorento in the end. I liked the huge tow capacity, budget price and decent quality. Bought from a guy who fits towbars and also provides a towing service, he has 3 Sorentos and swears by them. Bodies a little tatty round the edges, but mechanically spot on and at £1400 it was nicely in budget.
big_wasa

posted on 25/4/19 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
I think it's the same platform as the santa fe.

Owelly, did you sell your dad's ?

[Edited on 25/4/19 by big_wasa]

loggyboy

posted on 25/4/19 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
I think it's the same platform as the santa fe.

I assumed not as I looked at SantaFe and tow weights were as much as half the Sorentos.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.