Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Air Box replacing sock filters?
Jonb_5

posted on 22/4/19 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
Air Box replacing sock filters?

Hi,

I need to get a new set of sock filters, it's a Tiger Supercar running a 2.0 pinto and twin 45's.

Having done some reading it has been suggested these can restrict the flow of air as so I was wondering if there was a better option. I've been looking at potentially making a stainless box to fit over the trunpets with maybe a single large filter facing forwards at the front..... Or maybe some ducting of some fashion....

Has anyone any advice or recommendations on this area....

Thanks

Jon

cliftyhanger

posted on 22/4/19 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Simple solution is K+N (or similar quality) dcoe filters. Do not be tempted by cheap filters, they are just not as good

But an airbox is a fine idea. I recently made one for my car (st170 fitted with GXSR ITB's, so broadly similar design to what you will need) made of ali, used pop rivets and sikoflex for joints, though welding would be nicer. All off to a big K+N cone filter via trunking.

And yes, socks are restrictive, a tiny filter area.

Angel Acevedo

posted on 22/4/19 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
Stainless will be a lot harder to make than alloy. and probably heavier.
Why not ally?

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
alfas

posted on 23/4/19 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
mostly nonsense what you read about airfilter socks.

the well known brands like piperx do not restrict anything at all.

its a simple solution for airfiltering when space is tight (like with every seven-ish car) and when fabrcating skills and tools are limited.

this said they have 1 big disadvantage: if engine backfires and socks are wet from fuel they may catch fire...this mainly happens with engines which are bit difficult to start

k&n filters are also a nice solution., but you need more space, hence you need to cut your bonnet. (same appiles for a airbox).
due to the metal mesh they are not prone to any fire.

by the way: never use k&n´s without velocity stacks ...the velocity stacks are an important part to canalize and "smoothen" the airflow.

MikeRJ

posted on 23/4/19 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alfas
mostly nonsense what you read about airfilter socks.

the well known brands like piperx do not restrict anything at all.

It's not nonsense, and the brand has little to do with anything. It's a simple problem of filter area and airflow; one sock has a very low filter area and has to supply the peak air demand of one cylinder. A larger filter that supplies all cylinders still only has to deal with the peak airflow of a single cylinder (for a 4 cylinder engine). Obviously the lower the power capability of the engine, the less impact sock filters will have.

FWIW the Pipercross sausage filters are very good in terms of airflow, even the shallow ones.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.