Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pinto Starter Motors
AntonUK

posted on 23/4/19 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
Pinto Starter Motors

I'm in the middle of a Zetec/rx8 box conversion. As part of the conversion I have also swapped to a pinto flywheel arrangement.

I ordered a new started from ebay that was recomended by the conversion plate manufacturer and it certainly looks like it would fit, but solenoid section points downwards and hits my chassis and sump (raceline). Ideally in need the solenoid to point the opposite direction like my old zetec one did.

Are there different types of pinto starter motor? Some googling shows found something but wanted to run it past you guys first.

What I purchased: eBay Item

I think i need this one? eBay Item

Help?

Build Photos Here

overdriver

posted on 23/4/19 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
Not familiar with your chassis/Zetec setup but what I think what you are after is what I have on my Supercat/Pinto (eBay item number:271765788262) from aapoldham. The configuration appears to have the solenoid connections in the correct position relative to the drive cog aperture.

Michael.

rusty nuts

posted on 23/4/19 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
The manual Pinto engine used a different starter to the automatic , I think they were fitted on opposite sides of the engine . Fitting an auto starter was a common mod on Pinto engines with high compression to aid starting. It may? be possible to release the main starter fixing screws and rotate the main body in relation to the mounting flange?
big_wasa

posted on 23/4/19 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
The one you link to having bought looks like the generic copy of the Lrs 707. This is the one used with a Zetec flywheel. But the solenoid position still various from brand to brand.

There are various after market flywheels. Some are just drilled to take a pinto clutch and there was a few designed with the ring gear offset to take the pinto starter. What have you bought ?

I have a good pinto one ready for eBay. But if your looking at new I would highly recommend Mike aka “ starterman “ on here and avoid the cheap eBay / eurocarparts stuff.

starterman

posted on 23/4/19 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
Zetec/Pinto starters can be a pain. What you need to do is measure from the face the starter mounts on the bellhousing to the flywheel and then you need to know how many teeth on the ring gear. That way you can get the right starter and not just one that goes in the hole.
mcerd1

posted on 26/4/19 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
the not so locost solution would be to get one of the aftermarket geared (high torque) starters

some of them have an index-able adaptor plate a bit like this: linky
that way you can turn it however you need it

mine came from H&H ignition and even though its not got alternative holes pre-drilled its a quick and easy mod

-

starterman

posted on 27/4/19 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
If you do go down the hi torque route please don't pay stupid money, buy a powerlite one at cost price.
AntonUK

posted on 27/4/19 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
So I ordered a LRS110 and that appear to fit fine on the outside.

But upon reviewing closer the pinion is meshed with the flywheel in its rest position. I think i need a 14mm spacer.

Anyone come across this before?

edit: found this lurking from 2010 which seems to match my issue. http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=142050

[Edited on 27/4/19 by AntonUK]

Build Photos Here

big_wasa

posted on 27/4/19 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
So it’s drilled for a pinto clutch but takes a Sierra cvh / dohc starter.

What flywheel have you bought ?

AntonUK

posted on 28/4/19 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
I think you are right. I purchased a lightweight flywheel s/h that was drilled for pinto and zetec clutches. The rx8 setup I have is setup for the pinto clutch and it looks as though I've assumed the ring gear was pinto when its not.

I have my old starter that was on my type 9 with standard zetec clutch/flywheel but the bolt pattern is different so I cant mount it.

Looks like I need to make a spacer.

Build Photos Here

big_wasa

posted on 28/4/19 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
The starter from a cvh / dohc is the same bolt spacing as a pinto. The T9 has the same bell housing. A fwd Zetec starter is a differant patern.

You just need the Lrs 707 that every one raves about.

I did ask one of the guys that makes the Rx8 adapters if he would do a plate that takes a standard Zetec starter but he didn’t feel there was enough demand.

AntonUK

posted on 29/4/19 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks.

it does seem the Lrs 707 is the option i should have gone with in the first place.

I'm going to try the spacer option first (gives me chance to try out the mill i purchased 4 years ago) then if that fails i'll buy 'another' starter.

Build Photos Here

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.