Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Age related plates
Sharm

posted on 24/4/19 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
Age related plates

Hi sorry bit of a long question but hope someone can help me through the fog?

I have wanted to build a Lotus 7 replica for some years now, my ambition was originally to build the car from scratch including the chassis. (the Locost-Locust-Haynes method)

I would like to build the car with an age-related plate as I have a personal registration number and would very much like this on the car, I would of course need to use a post 2008 donor car if this was possible as the plate is a 58 (2008/9).

I have listed these questions below in the hope someone can provide me with some clarification:

There are three options listed in the INF 26 leaflet that I believe relate to my scenario, but I am unsure which of these options I need to be looking at.

“Vehicles that have been radically altered” “Kit Built” and “Kit Conversions” Kit Conversions is the area I think my car would come under as it would be a chassis swap using two major components from the donor car along with some new and refurbished part, would anyone please clarify this for me?

If I build the chassis myself can I have an age-related plate?

What are classed as “original major components” as referred to in the INF 26 leaflet?

I have also been looking at unfinished projects on eBay which have never been registered, with the possibility of using a chassis from that, would this be possible as an age-related plate?

I have also noticed some cars for sale on eBay with age related plates that on checking the DVLA or MOT come up as the original car description and not the description they actually are, I had read that if the description does not match, it cannot be legally MOT’d; can anyone clarify this please?

If I buy a chassis from chassis supplier or build my own chassis, were do I obtain a VIN number? One conversation I had with the DVLA said we supply it, another said you make up your own 16-digit VIN have it stamped on or welded to the chassis and show that to the IVA tester to put on the test form?

So, to sum up would anyone know if I would be eligible for an age-related plate if I follow the list below?

• Build the chassis myself from scratch or use a prebuilt chassis.
• Use two major components from one post 2008 donor car.
• Add a VIN I have made up or obtain a VIN from the DVLA.
• Have the car IVA tested.
• Submit all the paperwork to the DVLA to obtain a current V5 with the correct description of the car.

Thank you in advance

Ian AKA Sharm

02GF74

posted on 24/4/19 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
When I registered mine on age related plate there was a points system, points for engine, gearbox, prop, brakes, suspension etc. that if totalled was equal to or more than a minimum threshold and parts can be proved to come from the donor would entitle you for a registration that is the same year as the donor.

Note this is not the donors reg nor can you choose the reg.

That is relatively straight forward.

I am not sure if it is possible to change the reg, obviously the same age or older, for a kit car, that may scupper your plan.

ste

posted on 24/4/19 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
DVLA have an error in how they process plate changes so to save the hassle, build it with any age related donor, e.g. 98 S plate. put a private plate on it older than 98. remove private plate and it now gets a reg for it's year of build, not the donor car age.

You can then put any plate younger than the build year on it.

How do I know? It happened to my robin hood 2b. It was on an age related L plate, went onto a private plate, and when that plate came off, it was now an 08 plate which is year it was registered.

nick205

posted on 25/4/19 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
When I registered mine on age related plate there was a points system, points for engine, gearbox, prop, brakes, suspension etc. that if totalled was equal to or more than a minimum threshold and parts can be proved to come from the donor would entitle you for a registration that is the same year as the donor.

Note this is not the donors reg nor can you choose the reg.

That is relatively straight forward.

I am not sure if it is possible to change the reg, obviously the same age or older, for a kit car, that may scupper your plan.

This is how I remember it from building my MK Indy. I used parts from a single Sierra donor and got a G reg (different reg to the Sierra) for the Indy. That was a few years ago now under the SVA system. I know we're now on the IVA system and I don't know if things have changed.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.