Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Emissions test probe - how far into tailpipe?
JekRankin

posted on 1/5/19 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
Emissions test probe - how far into tailpipe?

How far does the emissions probe need to be inserted into the tailpipe for the emissions test?

I have a dB killer in mine, which means the probe can only be inserted about 100mm into the exhaust tailipe. Will that be enough?

Jek

russbost

posted on 1/5/19 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
No, it will almost certainly vary from station to station as I don't think they all have identical equipment, but I would say you need to allow at least 10" of free entry space, preferably 12"

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
JekRankin

posted on 1/5/19 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
Ah, oops. Don't think the db killer is wedged in there pretty tight. Are these usually installed at the entrance to the silencer?

Think i'll need to get a replacement tail pipe and live without the db killer. Anyone know where I can get a 45deg tailpipe with a nice rolled end for IVA?

Jek

russbost

posted on 1/5/19 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
dB killer needs to go in after the main silencer to allow room for gases to slow down & expand in the silencer, otherwise it's unlikely to be effective. Can you not simply add a section of tube with suitable rolled end to the existing pipe to allow the probe to read gases - it only needs to be there for IVA

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
JekRankin

posted on 1/5/19 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Sadly there's no room in the Fury sill for what you suggest.

A 45 deg tail pipe is fitted directly into the silencer outlet, and it's in this tail pipe I've managed to get the DB killer stuck. At best, I've got 7" of free exhaust length to insert the probe.

Looks like i'll need to get another tailpipe and run without the DB killer.

Jek

ttalps2000

posted on 2/5/19 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
i initially put mine in on the tail pipe end, then had the same thought about the probe at IVA, so i swapped it to the manifold end, which made it even quieter, but it did screw my emissions and the engine didnt want to rev. Just squeezed through the emissions though!
russbost

posted on 2/5/19 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JekRankin
Sadly there's no room in the Fury sill for what you suggest.

A 45 deg tail pipe is fitted directly into the silencer outlet, and it's in this tail pipe I've managed to get the DB killer stuck. At best, I've got 7" of free exhaust length to insert the probe.

Looks like i'll need to get another tailpipe and run without the DB killer.

Jek

Sounds as tho' the pipe is removable? Or are you going to cut off & weld a new one on? Either way, just put the Db killer into the rear end of the silencer b4 the 45 deg pipe goes back on, as ttalps has confirmed fitting in front of the silencer may cut noise, but actually chokes the engine off with a partially blocked exhaust - hence the emission probs he mentions

JekRankin

posted on 2/5/19 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately I can't fit mine at the manifold end because the cat is in the way. Only option would be to put it inside the silencer, where it may not be as effective. I think i'll chance it without it. Argh, it's never easy!

Jek

russbost

posted on 2/5/19 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
Fitting at the rear end of the silencer will be as effective as fitting in the tailpipe, but without strangling the engine, shouldn't affect emissions much either, tho' could tweak them one way or the other

[Edited on 2/5/19 by russbost]

40inches

posted on 2/5/19 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
I left the decibel killer off until the noise test, the examiner was fine with that.
They got the probe about 10" past the sharply bent outlet.
Description
Description

rusty nuts

posted on 2/5/19 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
Not being able to insert the probe is likely to cause problems with the Lambda reading, same as even a very slight exhaust leak.
40inches

posted on 2/5/19 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Not being able to insert the probe is likely to cause problems with the Lambda reading, same as even a very slight exhaust leak.

I had a problem getting the Lambda correct to the other readings, then discovered a small hole in the bike silencer, it
was the water drain hole at the lower back

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.