Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Question for the motorcyclists...
Benzine

posted on 10/6/19 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
Question for the motorcyclists...

When I see a biker in my rear vision, I always make it easy for them to overtake me (e.g. pulling over a little) Whether that's at 60 on a country road or when traffic is crawling along on a motorway. Before around summer 2016 I used to get a 'thanks' around 75% of the time* (in the form of a raised hand or a nod of the helmet). Ever since (practically overnight) it's gone down to about 20%.

Anyone else noticed? And why is this?

*based on, at the time, hundreds of bikes overtaking me over 15 years of driving.

Btw this thread is fairly tongue in cheek. I'm not suggesting that bikers should even say thanks, or that they even need me to pull over for them. It's just something I've observed - no ill will meant towards bikers, and I'll always continue to keep a look out for you in my mirrors

[Edited on 11-6-2019 by Benzine]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 10/6/19 at 11:39 PM Reply With Quote
I can count on one hand the number of times I've had a thanks in response to helping them out, since 1998.

hkp57

posted on 11/6/19 at 02:29 AM Reply With Quote
Benzine - Thanks for supporting bikers, on A roads and such like I will make sure I thank drivers who let me by.

On the motorway if your letting us by filtering (which is legal) it usually means bumper to bumper cars and trucks so concentration is up and eyes are a few cars ahead looking for the muppets that are not so aware of their surroundings and drift over on you. Some drift as they are in a world of their own and others as they did see you coming and don't like others making steady progress.

Fleet
SKC Raptor R - Hayabusa
Toyota C-HR Hybrid Limited Edition
Honda VFR1200 CrossTourer
DCT
Marlin Roadster 1800
Mercedes Vito 116 Sport

Mr Whippy

posted on 11/6/19 at 05:55 AM Reply With Quote
Tbh I always felt it more important to be holding the handle bars with both hands especially when manoeuvring round cars

Can't say I needed any help from the car driver in front to overtake even if they thought I did, I could pass you in a second regardless

As for filtering between cars I always found a straight through system to helpful for clearing the way

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Slimy38

posted on 11/6/19 at 05:57 AM Reply With Quote
When I was a biker I used to work on the rule that out of every ten cars, six wouldn't see you, three would try and move out of the way for you, and one would actively try and take you out. For the three I used to try and acknowledge their movements, although there were times I was still looking out for the one and needed full control of the bike.

Now I'm a 100% car driver, I try and stay in the group of three. I'd say about 50% of bikers give some sort of acknowledgement, the others are usually focusing on the task at hand and trying to avoid the one car driver (usually a low spec BMW) that is looking to take them out.

jelly head

posted on 11/6/19 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
My mate is a big biker and he warned me about moving over as he says it puts the car tyres into the crap on the road which flicks up at the bike behind.
Benzine

posted on 11/6/19 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jelly head
My mate is a big biker and he warned me about moving over as he says it puts the car tyres into the crap on the road which flicks up at the bike behind.

Size or well into it? That's a shame, the bit at the side of the road is the only place without massive potholes

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Can't say I needed any help from the car driver in front to overtake even if they thought I did, I could pass you in a second regardless

Literally a second? How do you know what car I'm driving? You've assumed a lot there.

[Edited on 11-6-2019 by Benzine]

Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 11/6/19 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
I always appreciated the knowledge that you'd seen me.

The act of moving over is fairly irrelevant (as someone else mentioned, even a 600 will pass you without effort) but the knowing that you've seen me means i can pass in the comfort you aren't going to suddenly swerve out.

keep doing what you're doing. If you don't get a wave, this (ex) biker said thanks on their behalf

Daf

posted on 11/6/19 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Norfolkluegojnr
I always appreciated the knowledge that you'd seen me.

The act of moving over is fairly irrelevant (as someone else mentioned, even a 600 will pass you without effort) but the knowing that you've seen me means i can pass in the comfort you aren't going to suddenly swerve out.

keep doing what you're doing. If you don't get a wave, this (ex) biker said thanks on their behalf

Totally agree with that, if the person moves over you know they've seen you and are giving way which is brilliant because most car drivers seem to not see you and deliberately block the way ahead if they do!

Speaking for myself I don't always say thanks when someone has pulled over, the reason being I might very well need two hands on the bars to make the overtake safely.

scimjim

posted on 11/6/19 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
I reckon I still get thanked around 90% of the time - most in slow moving motorway traffic in the daily or on A roads in the motorhome. Rather than take your hands off the bars, a move of the foot is more common now. As said, the fact I’ve seen them is as important as making room.

[Edited on 11/6/19 by scimjim]

MikeRJ

posted on 11/6/19 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
I always acknowledge car drivers that have seen me and tried to make space for me to pass, either by a hand wave if safe to do so or a nod of the head if not.

However I would ask car drivers not to pull over so far that they start kicking up dirt from the verge, if the road is narrow enough that I can't overtake safely with a car positioned normally I won't overtake at all, and having crap kicked up into my face isn't pleasant, however well intentioned it is!

nick205

posted on 11/6/19 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
Not currently driving, but when in the 23 years I was driving I did likewise and acknowledged motorcyclists by moving over a bit giving them more space to pass.

I appreciate that many motorcycles are powerful enough to pass quickly anyway, but to me moving over slightly let the motorcyclist know I was aware of them.

Most thanked with a hand or nod, some didn't. For those that didn't I'd simply hoped they were too busy concentrating on the road around them.

bi22le

posted on 11/6/19 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
I'm a bike commuter and try to thank people when I can.

Sometimes I'm concentrating on other cars

Sometimes I have already thanked a thousand cars and calmed the thanking down.

I use feet, various hand gestures and nods. Depending on what's going on.

I would also back the "keep up the good work" comments. It is always appreciated, even if we don't show it.

I have not experienced the flicking of gravel, but then I'm all motorway and dual carriageway.

I have experienced a few unnecessary massive swerve to make space, I scares the crap out of me and I wonder what you are going to do next!!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Simon

posted on 11/6/19 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
If drivers are to the nearside (ie saw me nice and early) or actively drift to nearside as I approach I will always wave a thankyou (so long as it's safe) even if it means thanking a hundred people in a row - sadly there is the usual BMW/VW/Audi brigade who like to ride the centre line - they just get ignored. If it isn't safe to wave I'll wobble my head

[Edited on 11/6/19 by Simon]

myke pocock

posted on 12/6/19 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
Just as with cars, there are as many bad motor cyclists. Somer are totally inconsiderate of other road users especially on twisty country roads where they suddenly come up behind at break neck speed. I live in Cumbria and drive twisty country roads regularly so am used to this. I sometimes think that the slogan 'Think Bike' should also be turned around to SOME bikers to say 'Think Car'. Dont get me wrong, there are plenty of considerate bike riders. Its just some give the rest a bad name.
johnH20

posted on 12/6/19 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
We spend a lot of time in France. It seems to be the custom here - 70% of the time - to acknowledge helpful motorists by sticknig a leg out! Took us some time to understand this - strange to us - behavour.
StevieB

posted on 13/6/19 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnH20
We spend a lot of time in France. It seems to be the custom here - 70% of the time - to acknowledge helpful motorists by sticknig a leg out! Took us some time to understand this - strange to us - behavour.

Because in the UK you use your clutch hand to say thanks as you overtake on the right. In France it’s be your throttle hand, so o the continent they stick a leg out instead.

If I’m making a relaxed overtake and the car makes an effort to make my life easier, I always give a wave to say thanks, same if I’m filtering and need to pull back into traffic. If it’s busier, as said above my mind is pre-occupied with what’s going on ahead.

If it’s an open road I tend to be in the space of the fact I was going to overtake anyway no matter what, and am already thinking about positioning, balance, brakes and gearing for the next corner.

I wouldn’t take it as riders being rude in any way - there’s a lot more to think about on a bike and while people would generally be grateful of being seen and that car drivers are aware you’re there, there’s quite often a lot more going on that needs attention.

Still, I give more thanks on the bike than I do in the car...

WallerZero

posted on 14/6/19 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
As many have said, the bikers probably feel more comfortable knowing you've seen them. I wouldn't go out of my way to let them pass like an emergency vehicle but I will try and make them aware I have seen them and will make their overtake as safe and simple as possible.

I don't need a thanks, being a biker is a state of mind and a passion. I happy knowing I've helped them stay safe around me and allowed them to continue their journey safely.

I've even had this attitude of people making it clear they are letting me by when in the Kit Car and completely agree its much more relaxing knowing they've seen you and won't try race you as soon as you start to overtake

http://zachsgbszero.blogspot.co.uk/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.