Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Thunderbirds are go...
Mr Whippy

posted on 21/6/19 at 06:23 AM Reply With Quote
Thunderbirds are go...

Well there goes yet another Northsea platform whisked away with giant equipment that beggars belief. I used to do the weekly bedding plans for this...

You tube linky

After some high profile deaths on the platform, we had a senior guy from Shell do a presentation on this platform about how they would improve the control of gas and oil leaks in the legs (the internal pipes were covered in patches and rust) right in the middle of the presentation he noticed on his cross section of the legs they looked just like huge cannons pointing right at the deck were there to be a gas explosion hmmm

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dingz

posted on 21/6/19 at 06:50 AM Reply With Quote
WOW! What is the weight of that platform, and will they put it back?

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

scudderfish

posted on 21/6/19 at 06:53 AM Reply With Quote
Wow!
Mr Whippy

posted on 21/6/19 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dingz
WOW! What is the weight of that platform, and will they put it back?

off to get scrapped...it's 43 years old

weight of the deck is about 24,500 tons

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jeffw

posted on 21/6/19 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
That is pretty impressive. Custom built ship/lifting platform. What happens to the subsurface part?
Mr Whippy

posted on 21/6/19 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
That is pretty impressive. Custom built ship/lifting platform. What happens to the subsurface part?

Good question, last I heard they were wanting to re-float it since the tanks are very contaminated but whether the mud will let it go or it doesn't just breakup in the attempt... Some suggested putting wind turbine on them but the whole structure was only meant to last 15 years, it been out there almost 3 times that. I'm sure the concrete and rebar will be in quite a state...

T66

posted on 21/6/19 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
Ive always been interested in the sheer size of offshore engineering, my son does NDT for Applus, and they do the NDT for Subsea 7 laying gas pipelines under the sea. They spool 1.5km lengths of 16 inch pipe onto the back of a ship. Something I still cannot get my head round.

Allseas have invested heavily in other similar ships, theres another called Peter ? looks the same as that. Built specifically for North Sea decommisioning.

The topsides of something North sea like have just arrived at Teesport, was on the local news yesterday.

perksy

posted on 21/6/19 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
Fair play that's real engineering

Makes Jacking a car up in the air look like nothing

Abe

posted on 21/6/19 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
Awesome! Amazing engineering. Would love to see this
daviep

posted on 22/6/19 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw

Good question, last I heard they were wanting to re-float it since the tanks are very contaminated but whether the mud will let it go or it doesn't just breakup in the attempt... Some suggested putting wind turbine on them but the whole structure was only meant to last 15 years, it been out there almost 3 times that. I'm sure the concrete and rebar will be in quite a state...

The life expectancy of the concrete "condeep" base is 200 years.

I would guess they are not repurposed for wind turbines due to the cost of installing infrastructure. I'm sure Shell have come up with lots of good reasons for why it is best just to leave them to crumble in to the sea over the next 200 years, obviously nothing to do with avoiding the cost of cleaning up after themselves.

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.