Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Belt adjuster help
number-1

posted on 8/7/19 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Belt adjuster help

Has anyone ever seen a belt adjuster like this? I cant work out what the long allen head bolt at the top does? My belt is spitting melted rubber so think the adjuster may be too slack causing it to rub and in turn melt the belt

Any ideas?

Bluemoon

posted on 9/7/19 at 07:01 AM Reply With Quote
Check belt tension first, i.e. correct tension is near enough when you can twist belt 90 Deg on it's the longest run?

The tensioner looks homemade, I would probably take it off and play with it. Seems likely that the long alan bolt sets the tension? It might be that the other larger one locks it in place?

Dan

rusty nuts

posted on 9/7/19 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
The actual wheel itself looks very much like a Peugeot/ Citroen timing belt tensioner pulley, the socket head screw probably give a larger range of adjustment?
40inches

posted on 9/7/19 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
The square hole is to adjust it with a ratchet. 3/8th?
The washer is blocking the hole, probably why the long socket headed screw is there.
A smaller/no washer would have made more sense

nick205

posted on 9/7/19 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
The actual wheel itself looks very much like a Peugeot/ Citroen timing belt tensioner pulley, the socket head screw probably give a larger range of adjustment?

My thought as well. Peugeot 205 GTIs for example had this (and another) type of cam belt tensioner.

If you loosen the bolt on the front of the tension wheel does the bolt behind the wheel not adjust the wheel poisition (belt tension)?

rusty nuts

posted on 9/7/19 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
From memory the square hole is 8mm , I have an old King Dick 5/16” breaker bar that works well
number-1

posted on 9/7/19 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for replies chaps. From what google has told me the INA - 04 as printed is in fact off a Pug 205! Ill get a new one ordered and a new belt.

N1

nick205

posted on 9/7/19 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
Out of curiosity, what engine is it you have?
number-1

posted on 9/7/19 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
Its a silvertop zetec engine but is supercharged. The tensioner is for the supercharger belt
nick205

posted on 10/7/19 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
Image from the internet here shows Peugeot 205 GTI (XU engine) timing belts with the two different types of tensioner. The right hand image "Later Assembly" shows the tensioner you appear to have. I have a Haynes manual for the car if you want more infro on it feel free to U2U me.

I think its Peugeot P/N 0829.54

You may also find the square hole on the front is 8mm x 8mm. Peugeot use the same square drive fitting on their sump plugs. I've found a short length of 8mm x 8mm square steel bar + an 8mm spanner work OK to turn it.

[Edited on 10/7/19 by nick205]

[Edited on 10/7/19 by nick205]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.