Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Reliant Kitten Project
SJ

posted on 16/6/20 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like a cross between a Beta HPE and a Delta.
ettore bugatti

posted on 16/6/20 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SJ
Looks like a cross between a Beta HPE and a Delta.

Exactly what the doctor ordered

[Edited on 16/6/20 by ettore bugatti]

ettore bugatti

posted on 16/6/20 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John Bonnett
quote:
Originally posted by ettore bugatti
Ended up with a new sketch since something wasn't quite right with the greenhouse on the other sketch:
Description
Description

I'd be pleased if I'd made that. Nice drawing thank you EB

No problem at all.
Hopefully, it will be useful in some way in the build.

John Bonnett

posted on 16/6/20 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
With the inspiration you chaps have given me I'm straining at the leash to get going. Frustratingly, I'm held up for material at the moment, principally the round tube for the A post and the sheet for the windscreen aperture. So as an interim measure I'll get started on modifying the exhaust manifold which is the standard Focus one but tubular and hopefully should flow well.

I'll keep you posted.

HowardB

posted on 17/6/20 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:
Ended up with a new sketch since something wasn't quite right with the greenhouse on the other sketch:
Description
Description

I'd be pleased if I'd made that. Nice drawing thank you EB

No problem at all.
Hopefully, it will be useful in some way in the build.

It looks great,. I quite like this shape too,...

1979 Talbot Sunbeam-Lotus specifications
bodywork
Wheelbase 2413 mm 95 inches
Track/tread (front) 1341 mm 52.8 inches
Track/tread (rear) 1328 mm 52.3 inches
Length 3830 mm 150.8 inches

[Edited on 17/6/20 by HowardB]

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

John Bonnett

posted on 18/6/20 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
Whilst waiting for materials I've been experimenting with pie cuts to form an exhaust pipe bend. These are 10 degree cuts welded together which will hopefully put the pipe where I want it.

John Bonnett

posted on 20/6/20 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
Using the pie cut technique, I've produced a pipe to extend the manifold to a point tight to the engine and with the outlet in line with te exhaust pipe.

The materials are now in and I've commenced the laborious task of shaping the windscreen aperture.

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/6/20 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
So are you building everything, scratch building all the internal structure of the body as well? This is a bit epic...
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
John Bonnett

posted on 21/6/20 at 06:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
So are you building everything, scratch building all the internal structure of the body as well? This is a bit epic...

Absolute madness but that's the idea.

John Bonnett

posted on 22/6/20 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
A lot of hours but some progress in forming the screen aperture. Both stretching and shrinking is needed to replicate the curvature. It has been a case of a little bit and check and a little bit more. The L section I'm forming is 8 ft long and a bit unwieldy. But we're getting there. The scecond piece for the top edge will be much shorter and not have so much shape.

HowardB

posted on 22/6/20 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
I applaud your absolute madness!!

Encore!

Howard

John Bonnett

posted on 22/6/20 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HowardB
I applaud your absolute madness!!

Encore!

I thank you Howard.

Mr Whippy

posted on 26/6/20 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
So I saw this and thought of your car...

Ok it's quite different but lots of ideas and Russian vodka induced craziness and tbh in a strange way it looks quite cool in a mad 80's retro style I'd love one but you'd have had to work in the KGB or something to own one I'm sure and now their probably priceless or locked away in some vault.

They do seem to have a bit of a panel gap issue going on Maybe they moved on to work with Tesla...

[Edited on 26/6/20 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
John Bonnett

posted on 27/6/20 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
If my car turns out like that its first trip would be to the crusher
ettore bugatti

posted on 27/6/20 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe some graphics will help?

I dont think the rear end is looking too bad, it is just that Countach inspired nose doesn't work on front engined package

John Bonnett

posted on 27/6/20 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
We'll have to agree to differ I'm afraid.
John Bonnett

posted on 6/7/20 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
I'm still having nightmares that my car might end up looking like that Russian thing and that together with other comments about my sketches looking "Boxy" I may have to re-think the shape of the body altogether. Curves to replace the straight lines which in any case will be easier to achieve and perhaps result in a more pleasing result.

Along with the Fiesta MK5 windscreen I'm going to try to use the dashboard as well, complete with all switches and clocks. Although the speedometer normally uses a Hall effect sensor in the Fiesta gearbox, Speedy cables can supply a sensor and an adaptor box to calibrate the unit on the fly.

Work is progressing on the windscreen frame and I hope to be able to share some photos over the next week or so.

HowardB

posted on 6/7/20 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I'm still having nightmares that my car might end up looking like that Russian thing and that together with other comments about my sketches looking "Boxy" I may have to re-think the shape of the body altogether. Curves to replace the straight lines which in any case will be easier to achieve and perhaps result in a more pleasing result.

Along with the Fiesta MK5 windscreen I'm going to try to use the dashboard as well, complete with all switches and clocks. Although the speedometer normally uses a Hall effect sensor in the Fiesta gearbox, Speedy cables can supply a sensor and an adaptor box to calibrate the unit on the fly.

Work is progressing on the windscreen frame and I hope to be able to share some photos over the next week or so.

Boxy is ok as long as it has proportions - viz the Lotus Sunbeam, Mk1 Golf and even the Esprit,. classics then and classics now.

PS I am sure that it will be amazing, the only right angles are on your chassis, everything else can be curves

Howard

John Bonnett

posted on 6/7/20 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HowardB
quote:

Boxy is ok as long as it has proportions - viz the Lotus Sunbeam, Mk1 Golf and even the Esprit,. classics then and classics now.

PS I am sure that it will be amazing, the only right angles are on your chassis, everything else can be curves

Very nicely put Howard, thank you. I was half joshing about boxy but in reality, for an amateur metal shaper straight sharp lines are hard to achieve and if they are not perfectly executed the result will look awful. Curves are much easier for me so for that reason I'm leaning heavily towards a 60s style rather than a 70/80s look of the cars we've mentioned. Once I've got to grips with the windscreen frame and the basic structure I can make some sweeps and see what might work. Rather than a wooden buck like I've used before, this time I'm going to try a wire frame using 6mm steel bar. And that doesn't bend as easily as one might think!

ettore bugatti

posted on 9/7/20 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
I was watching this video where they mentioned the same on the rod stiffness:
https://youtu.be/yDAKno8so-8
Maybe round tubing of 10-15mm with 1mm tickness is easier to shape?

To be fair even the most boxy looking bodies have compound curves everwhere so it might not be easier to make anyway. Unless it is land-rover or jeep body.

If you got the space a 1:1 tape drawing of the front, side and rear will be valuable to determine (which will be a process of back and forth) the proportions. Get that right with the stance and the rest almost doesn't matter.

So you are looking at the Volvo P1800ES?

John Bonnett

posted on 9/7/20 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I was watching this video where they mentioned the same on the rod stiffness:
https://youtu.be/yDAKno8so-8
Maybe round tubing of 10-15mm with 1mm tickness is easier to shape?

To be fair even the most boxy looking bodies have compound curves everwhere so it might not be easier to make anyway. Unless it is land-rover or jeep body.

If you got the space a 1:1 tape drawing of the front, side and rear will be valuable to determine (which will be a process of back and forth) the proportions. Get that right with the stance and the rest almost doesn't matter.

So you are looking at the Volvo P1800ES?

I'm not sure now what I'm going to do but probably make it up as I go along which has always worked before. I've generally made up sweeps from folded aluminium L section to give the desired shape and built the buck to suit.

I actually said that the feature lines found in cars of the 80s have to be executed perfectly which isn't easy. Therefore the more boxy designs of that era are more challenging than a body made up of curves typical of the styles of a decade or so earlier. This is a major reason for my re-think. I'm limited by what I can actually make and which has to stand up to scrutiny.

Thank you for the video link relating to bending the 6mm bar and using thinner wire as patterns to establish the curvatures. I'm doing the same thing with the sweeps.

At the moment I'm still struggling with getting a perfect fit of the windscreen into the frame so the bodywork proper seems a long way away.

John Bonnett

posted on 10/7/20 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
I've spent a long time with the shrinker/stretcher adjusting the windscreen frame until it's as good as I can get it. I can do no better. The flange sits on the rubber trim so it will need extending to allow the glue to act on the glass rather than the rubber. I shall joddle a step and use countersunk rivets to attach it rather than welding.

rdodger

posted on 12/7/20 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
Looks like it fits better than any kit car screen!

So whats next John?

John Bonnett

posted on 12/7/20 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
It was well worth spending a bit of time, well a lot of time actually and I'm really pleased with the fit. More metal will need to be added to the bit that the screen sits on because at the moment it only extends to the edges of the rubber trim. It's going to need another 15mm or so for the glue. But before I do that I'll try to sort out how the frame is going to fit to the A post and transverse tube to give it a bit of rigidity. I've never done this before so I'm making it up as I go along.
John Bonnett

posted on 23/7/20 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
[Edited on 23/7/20 by John Bonnett]

It's taken a lot of hours to reach this stage but I now have something resembling a windscreen frame.

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.