Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Beetle project
Simon

posted on 10/9/19 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
Beetle project

I acquired a 1303 Beetle as a resto project and have been debating engine choices - "built" flat four, impreza, front mount V8. mid mount V8 and today I think my choice was decided by third party intervention

A guy in one of the other units at work has an Audi S6 2005 needing timing chain; when asked what my offer would be; I jokingly said "ohh, hundred quid" and got the response of "I think it needs to be nearer £500".

So, engine, box, ecu, subframe, suspension etc etc all sorted just like that. Mentioned it to the other half who said "Are you going to get I".

I replied "thinking about it" but didn't say "Course I bloody well am"

Rest can be sold for bits

Cheers

S

Mr Whippy

posted on 10/9/19 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm... Have you driven an old bug?

I've rebuild and owned two. More power and more weight in the back only leads to one outcome.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
perksy

posted on 10/9/19 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
Chap at my old company fitted a Porsche 911 Turbo engine into his, It was great in a straight line
Simon

posted on 10/9/19 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Hmm... Have you driven an old bug?

I've rebuild and owned two. More power and more weight in the back only leads to one outcome.

I had a 56 Oval which I drove around a field (then cut into pieces and scrapped), the had a 73 1300 which I drove on the road (then cut into pieces and scrapped)

It'll be mid-engined with fabricated chassis; Audi S6 front suspension at the back and something else at the front. Shell will just be for decoration

A refined version of this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSaDdR0si0s

[Edited on 10/9/19 by Simon]

Mr Whippy

posted on 11/9/19 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
Oh well you should stand a chance of staying alive then...

Good luck with the project. I'd recommend completely replacing the sills with rectangular tube as the original design is appalling and barely strong enough to stand on.

Post pictures of the project please.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Simon

posted on 11/9/19 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
I agree entirely with replacing sills with box - it was one of those things I'd been contemplating, but you've convinced me

Thinking about doing a blog...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.