Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: IVA Steering Shaft Angle
Edwardo

posted on 16/9/19 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
IVA Steering Shaft Angle

Evening all - Can anybody confirm what the IVA man requires for steering shaft angle please (or is it as I suspect one of those very woolly areas that varies from tester to tester)?

I'm fairly sure my whole steering arrangement is going to need pulling out and re-doing again Tried to take a couple of pics tonight to show roughly what it looks like and marked the approx difference in angle between the rack and the shaft (marked as red lines on below pic):-

The rack has approx 115mm of travel from the collapsible triangle section - plus the collapsible section of the Sierra upper column. I also have a collapsible steering boss.

The shaft is also only about 5mm clear of the exhaust manifold and only approx 1-2mm clear of the chassis rail which is another reason I think it's all got to come out.

Any advice gratefully appreciated.

Cheers

Tony

40inches

posted on 17/9/19 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
The angle isn't a problem, mine is nearer 45 degrees.
If it feels OK and works, leave it

gremlin1234

posted on 17/9/19 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
I am assuming you have a joint at the top of the intermediate shaft, since otherwise the steering wheel would be at an odd angle...

iva manual section 14 covers this,
protective steering
quote:

An offset between the steering column and the input shaft of the steering rack or box
In cases where an intermediate shaft is used, it will be connected to the steering column at one end and the steering rack or box at the other, by means of universal joints and/or flexible couplings. The greater the angle through which the joints run, the more effective they will be in preventing movement being transmitted up the steering column. While it is unlikely that joints of this type will work at angles above 30 degrees, they are unlikely to be effective if the angle between the steering column and the intermediate shaft (when viewed from the side or the top of the vehicle) is less than 10 degrees

it even has a nice diagram

Edwardo

posted on 17/9/19 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies chaps.

From reading the IVA manual protective steering section, it has the 'required standard' numbered 1-5 so these are what must be met to pass.

Number 4 states :-

"The vehicle and steering column assembly must be designed such in the event of a frontal impact at 48km/h (30mph) the rearward horizontal displacement and vertical displacement of the top of the steering column and it's shaft do not exceed 127mm. The vehicle should be assessed using the material in Annex 1."

I guess my reading is that the info in Annex 1 (which contains the info about offsets allowing the column to deflect away from the driver) are guidelines that the tester can use to determine if it's going to move back more than 127mm?

I have more than 127mm of collapsible distance anyway - so would that mean that the tester wouldn't need to refer to the Annex to asses it?

I wish we had some actual IVA testers on these forums - it would be invaluable lol!

Cheers again for your help with this

nick205

posted on 17/9/19 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
Not steering related, but I'd recommend fitting the cam belt cover. Getting something caught in there will cause trouble - if it's a finger it'll really hurt as well!

[Edited on 17/9/19 by nick205]

Edwardo

posted on 17/9/19 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Not steering related, but I'd recommend fitting the cam belt cover. Getting something caught in there will cause trouble - if it's a finger it'll really hurt as well!

[Edited on 17/9/19 by nick205]

Yeah good point - Cheers Nick I probably should do that.

In fairness I nearly got the lead caught in it when I was using the timing strobe gun at the weekend.

Slimy38

posted on 18/9/19 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
This is how I did my steering angle;

I took a picture of the two sections, and overlaid the image with something I could then measure the angle of. I'm glad I did, as the original angle was <10 degrees.

I should also mention that this is still retaining both collapsible sections from the donor (MX5 in my case).

This is how it ended up;

http://slimyroadster.blogspot.com/2018/05/steering-complete.html

[Edited on 18/9/19 by Slimy38]

Edwardo

posted on 18/9/19 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Slimey,

Did your tester measure or look carefully (or even mention) your angles at IVA at all?

Slimy38

posted on 18/9/19 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Edwardo
Thanks Slimey,

Did your tester measure or look carefully (or even mention) your angles at IVA at all?

Unfortunately I'm still building!! But I have the IVA manual alongside the Haynes manual, so I'm forever bouncing between the two to pre-empt any future issues.

gremlin1234

posted on 18/9/19 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
This is how I did my steering angle;
I took a picture of the two sections, and overlaid the image with something I could then measure the angle of. I'm glad I did, as the original angle was <10 degrees.

I should also mention that this is still retaining both collapsible sections from the donor (MX5 in my case).

This is how it ended up;

http://slimyroadster.blogspot.com/2018/05/steering-complete.html

[Edited on 18/9/19 by Slimy38]

don't forget any vertical offset also applys to the shaft angles

Slimy38

posted on 19/9/19 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234

don't forget any vertical offset also applys to the shaft angles

Yep, although I couldn't have proved that the horizontal and vertical offset added up to at least 10 degrees, so I made the horizontal offset >10 degrees and worked off the idea that the vertical would only increase that number.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.