Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How to unblock gutter down pipe?
nick205

posted on 19/10/19 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
How to unblock gutter down pipe?

Evening,

I have gutter down pipe that's blocked, causing rainwater to fountain out the top of the down pipe. I've cleared all leaf debri from the gutter itself, but now need to sort the blockage in the down pipe. I've also fitted guards in the gutter to prevent further build up of leaf debris.

The down pipe itself is concreted into the groun so I can't get up it it from the bottom.

The down pipe exits below ground into a sewage drain so I'm not at all keen to simply push the blockage into the sewage drain and risk further problems.

Can anyone recommend a solution, perhaps something I can pour in from the top that will dissolve the blockage?

Thanks
Nick

cliftyhanger

posted on 19/10/19 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
The easiest way to do a proper job may be to dismantle from the top...

However, using a sturdy drain rod with spiral end attachment may work, as long as the pipe has no bends. Otherwise a smaller wire type drain unblocker may help. At least locate the blockage.

You may be able to cut the downpipe and pop a connector in? All sorts of possibilities.

Pressuer washer with a drain hose would probably work too. You may get wet.

nick205

posted on 19/10/19 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
Cutting the down pipe closer to the ground is an option and the reassembling with a link section.

This may allow me clearer sight of and access to the blockage.

theconrodkid

posted on 19/10/19 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
cut the pipe with an angry grinder or similar and clear the leaves out, you can get joiners at places like screwfix

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

pmc_3

posted on 19/10/19 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
I cleared my gutters recently and the down pipes were blocked, when I took the top join off it was only the very end that was blocked up, all of the rest was fine.
ReMan

posted on 19/10/19 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
unless you suspect theres something big, like a tennis ball ion it, then as others said drain/sweep rods with a screw pig end from the top, chances are its leaf build up at the angle near the bottom.

is it iron, plastic or asbestos?

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

pewe

posted on 19/10/19 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Once clear put a balloon leaf guard on top of the drain pipe in the gutter.
PIA to clear annually but better than blocked downpipes - ask me how I know...
Cheers, Pewe10

steve m

posted on 20/10/19 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
I had a similar problem out the front of my house, that in heavy rain the whole pathway etc in front of my
front door would fill up like a lake, as the drain could not cope, this went on for years, and I tried rods,
long spring pipe cleaners, and pressure hose
And nothing worked

so bought one of these "Pressure Washer Sewer Drain Cleaning Hose Pipe Tube Cleaner For Karcher K Series "
off ebay, and with in 15 mins of running it up and down the soil pipe/drain, something gave in, and the drain was unblocked
no more lakes outside my door!

I would go for cutting an access hole near the bottom, big enough for rods or a hose to go up/down into
Then make an ali plate to cover the hole, and self tappers drilled into the pipe

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

nick205

posted on 20/10/19 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
I had a similar problem out the front of my house, that in heavy rain the whole pathway etc in front of my
front door would fill up like a lake, as the drain could not cope, this went on for years, and I tried rods,
long spring pipe cleaners, and pressure hose
And nothing worked

so bought one of these "Pressure Washer Sewer Drain Cleaning Hose Pipe Tube Cleaner For Karcher K Series "
off ebay, and with in 15 mins of running it up and down the soil pipe/drain, something gave in, and the drain was unblocked
no more lakes outside my door!

I would go for cutting an access hole near the bottom, big enough for rods or a hose to go up/down into
Then make an ali plate to cover the hole, and self tappers drilled into the pipe

steve

This is what I'm thinking I should do with mine.

I've fitted a "balloon guard" thing to the top of the down pipe to prevent more stuff going down there.

Angel Acevedo

posted on 21/10/19 at 12:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Evening,

I have gutter down pipe that's blocked, causing rainwater to fountain out the top of the down pipe. I've cleared all leaf debri from the gutter itself, but now need to sort the blockage in the down pipe. I've also fitted guards in the gutter to prevent further build up of leaf debris.

The down pipe itself is concreted into the groun so I can't get up it it from the bottom.

The down pipe exits below ground into a sewage drain so I'm not at all keen to simply push the blockage into the sewage drain and risk further problems.

Can anyone recommend a solution, perhaps something I can pour in from the top that will dissolve the blockage?

Thanks
Nick

I had the same problem and used a large piece of expanded metal laid on an incline.
This way small debris can flow with water and bigger stuff gets stuck without clogging the drain.
Organic stuff will decay and drain later on without the need to physically dislodging it.
Plastic stuff will not decay (and I have had a couple occurrences where I needed to go upstairs and dislodge it manually), but not a real problem unless it covers a LOT of the expanded metal piece.
HTH.

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 21/10/19 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
There's a drain rodding add-on kit for Karcher washers.

I just got on a ladder, poked like hell with a long rod while flooding with the hose. Worked for me.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.